Anyone here a Massage Therapist???

I have always wanted to go back to school to become a massage therapist. I think the career opportunities are endless (salons, spas, hospitals etc..). However, I've also heard the future of this career is un-certain because it wreaks havoc on your hands. I would love to hear the pros, cons, dollar amount you make, hours you work per week etc..... Any information would be great :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• my friend is one and she got her hands insured incase it got to the point where she couldnt use her hands or if they got amputated etc. but she makes a lot a $ amount i dont know but the ression isnt having an effect on her.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 7:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My Dad is a massage therapist. He makes good money, charging people $1.00 a minute and almost everyone gives him a VERY decent tip. The problem is you kinda have to have your own clientele. He has been working very hard for the last 2 years trying to build up his clientele and he has enough to fill maybe 2 days of work. Right now he works at a chiropractors office and he sets a sign up outside that says $1.00 a minute massages. He gets people that come in for about 10 - 15 minutes. If you think about it that is $15.00 for 15 min! Nobody makes that much in that amount of time!

As far as your hands, my dad hasn't had any problems. He says that if you are doing it the right way it should be fine on you because you use your body weight rather than your hand and arm muscles. You do have to do a lot of standing though.
    Lisalou321

Answer by Lisalou321 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009