Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Full Custody..please help

last night my sons father who was VERY drunk came threw my window when i was sleep and then assalted me and took are son with no carseat or clothes on i just got my son bacc this morning because he dropped him off with is mother who brought him here..i called the police and they took down my statement and got a report from a witness. I am going to file for a restraing order first thing in the morning and i was wonder how will it workout with me getting full custody of my son and also i dont no where he is living now but i he receives his mail at his mothers house..i just want to no what will probably happen next

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • I'd go for the protective order instead of the restraining order. The protective order is easier for law enforcement to enforce. Plus you have the criteria... he broke in in the middle of the night and assaulted you.... I would also follow up on pressing charges against him for the assault and child endangerment. You have a clear cut case that will raise red flags with the system.... go for the throat so to speak and don't back down one inch. You'll have a fight getting full custody, but you'll have a great chance of getting supervised visitation until your sons father proves to the court that he can be trusted with the child... he kidnapped him once and the court will look on that as he'll do it again. Good Luck.

    Answer by PaceMyself at 12:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • i have been going threw a simular issue with my daugther,however she has stated that her stepmom was mean to her an hit her with a flyswatter to punish her as well as lock her in a bedroom when she would say she wanted me...they brought her to my house one night crying saying they where done with her an now4 years later chidsupport is makeing me go to court? ten to one will tell me i have to let them see her an she will hate me for it~~ my point is that i didnt do the right thing by going the leagal way and now we both will be hurt when the court says she needs to go back. GO LEAGAL ! BE STRONG!

    Answer by at 12:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Get a protective (restraining) order TOMORROW. Make a court date for the custody hearing. You won't have any problem getting full custody. Don't delay. Do it. Once you get the restraining order, DO NOT go against the order by letting him visit the child. Courts frown on that. They will think you wasted the court's time. So stay strong through all this and go all the way.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 1:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I hate to say this but I dont think you can stop him from seeing his son. If he assulted you thats one thing, but that has to do with the too of you, not him and his son. trust me if things could be different i wish they could be. my daughters father is not a bad person but he is very disrespectful to me and i feel that him doing that to me is disrespecting his daughter as well because i am her mother i wish to get full custody of my daughter... i wish i could because her father has no experience what so ever with babies and doesn't kow how to take care of her, but there is nothign i can do. try your hardest to do whatever you can to get full custody but i dont know if you can. hopefully trust me i am hoping for the best for you and you child. sorry if i offended you wasn't meant to do that. good luck to you.

    Answer by genuinely_real at 4:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • If your ex broke in to your place and assaulted you and took your son. I see no problem getting full custody of him But it will be a fight. you do need to make sure you put charges on him though cause if your ex assaulted you once he will do it again drunk or not. Do everything the legal wayhugs


    Answer by mamaoneil at 5:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I am speaking from years of experience - I know that going legal will cost LOTS OF $$$$$ which is non-refundable. And going "legal" is not always going to work out for your favor. Trust me. I never see 2 of my daughters even though I have court ordered visitation.........I haven't seen them in years. The system is jacked up. Once you open that legal door - you will have to do things to "prove" you are the better parent, etc. My ex's do not follow court orders, the cops say they can't do anything to enforce my visitation, then the dads MOVED and left me with no way of seeing my girls. Sad but true. I am 41 and just now starting to enjoy life with my 3 little kids, new man. Please hang in there no matter what the outcome. Try to work it out with the Dad. He does have rights but so do you.Hopefully you have your son back by now. If you ever need me, email me for emotional support. I been there, done that and lost.

    Answer by Donnamomma40 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • thanks donnamomm40. I need that

    Answer by Jess288 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
is anyone else?

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
Toys for infants