Do you use natural remedies, rather than drugs, for your family?

What natural remedies have been very useful to you?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Health

• -5-htp for seasonal depression (also decreases food cravings!)
    -garlic for yeast infections
    -cranberries for preventing UTI's
    -ecinacea, zinc and vitamin c for shortening/preventing colds
    -pulsatilla (homeopathy) for acne
    -Evening primrose oil for sore breasts

hmm, thats all I can think for now. Tell us what you always keep on hand!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Ok what is HTP & pulsatilla,? Where to get it? My son has heavy acne.
    dallasalice1

Answer by dallasalice1 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• 5-htp is a supplement. You can get it at any pharmacy, wal-mart, target, whatever. Pulsatilla is a homeopathic remedy. There are multiple homeopathic remedies that can treat acne. You should google homeopathy and acne to try to find the correct one. I broke out horribly this past summer and NOTHING worked! I tried pulsitilla and it cleared it up so quickly! I still have some acne and I'm trying different things to try to clear it up completely. Sulphur is another one that is used for acne. And silica is supposed to clear up scars. Those are the 3 I have that I have tried. Check out abchomeopathy.com. There are message boards and you can buy them on there. They are mostly under $5 or so.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yes! I love Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage for that reason. Congestion-licorice tea; Fever- feverfew; Headache- valerian, feverfew or chamomile; Nausea- ginger; Sleep problems- valerian, lavendar, or scullcap

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We do all the time.

Teething: hylands teething tablets, herbs for kids gum-o-mile

immune support/coughs: herbs for kids sweet echinacea and cherry bark extract, echinacea, zinc, vitamin c,

colds/soar throats: traditional medicinals teas such as throat coat, gypsy cold care, and organic echinacea plus, tea tree oil lozenges, throat coat lozenges,

sleep issues: valerian, melatonin, natures way "silent night"

UTIS/vaginal infections/yeast infections: cranberry pills, probiotics, tea tree oil suppositories, dandilion root, garlic

pregnancy: red rasberry leaf tea and pregnancy tea (the first strenghthens uterine/pelvic muscles and the latter provides overall support and health of your uterus/cervix/pelvis)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• ear infections: garlic and willow oil

gargle with food grade hydrogen peroxide for sore throats and healthy gums

probiotics for digestive issues as well as digestive enzymes

arnica (homeopathic) for pain and bruising

evening primrose oil to help with menstral pains as well as black/blue cohosh

bach rescue remedy for anxiety/stress (flower remedy)

st. johns wort for depression

vitamin b6 and b12 for energy as well as emotional support

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh yeah, I forgot about garlic oil for ear infection and rescue remedy for stress. Calms Forte for stress works great too. Keep em coming! Anyone know any remedies to increase energy?
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I use natural treatments as a first line of defense for almost all illnesses/conditions. Garlic to treat all kinds of infections, ear, yeast, colds, etc. It's great stuff. Elderberry syrup for cough and cold. Cranberry and garlic to treat UTI. Skunk cabbage and mullein to treat my athsma. Hot compresses to treat headaches.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I will have to get some elderberry syrup. Is it safe for kids?
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• they make some for kids.. there is also a kids "insure" by zand which is fantastic for cold season!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009