Is a bidet a good idea for children?

My son is 4 1/2 and he doesn't wipe very well. I found lots of decent bidet attachments online for only $40 and thought that might help.... but I am not familiar with them- have never used one.... is that a better way to clean when he is home? I realize toilet paper is his only option at school or when we are out but seemed like an interesting idea to consider....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2012 in General Parenting

• he'll just play in the toilet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Get him wet wipes. A bidet isn't going to teach him proper cleaning techniques. That will come with time and practice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2012

• We can't do wet wipes because we are on septic- or at least we can't flush them...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2012

• right
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2012

• No, home is the best place for him to practice wiping. If he doesn't practice, he'll never get better.

Answer by missanc at 12:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Well even you aren't on septic you still can't flush them. I know they say they are flushable, but really they should never be flushed. Honestly we have septic and my kids use wipe still at time to help get themselves clean. They are 10. They just throw them in our bathroom trash can and at the end of the day we take the trash out. The trash can has a lid and a stick-up in it....so my bathroom doesn't stink. -- plus taking it out every night helps too. Seeing thy are 10 they use them LESS now then they did at 4.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Its a good idea. You just have to make sure he is not going to use it for a toy.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• He really needs to learn proper hygiene and a bidet won't teach him that. After he gets "diaper rash" from not wiping properly he'll want to learn how to properly. He will be made fun of in school if the kids see skid marks on his pants from poor hygiene.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Not something I would consider. practice, practice, practice
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2012