Does anyone wear porceline crowns on their teeth?

and do they look natural or can you tell that is not your tooth?

One time I went to a club and I noticed this one person with all their top teeth done with crowns it had to be because it was dark and they were under a black light and was smiling and laughing like with no care in the world poor person if only they knew...they looked kind of black it looked weird...I felt bad for them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I'm an EDDA (expanded duties dental assistant)... well, before I had kids anyway! :) I've seen some REALLY good crown work, but I've also seen some really bad. It all depends on your dentist and the lab he uses. More often than not, they look pretty natural.

The reason they don't show up in blacklight is because they are actually porcelain fused to metal (the metal gives it strength.)

The best option for a cosmetic fix is veneers. They look VERY natural, and not as much of the tooth has to be drilled down to apply them. However, if a tooth has a large filling, or has been root canaled, it can't be vanered... the only option is a crown.

airforcewifemom

Answer by airforcewifemom at 2:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have 11 crowns including my front teeth (due to an accident) and they look very natural.  I've had them 17 years and never had a problem with them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have one crown in the front of my mouth, which was a necessity because of a problem with the natural tooth. I think that a dentist could identify this immediately, but to anyone else they are usually surprised if I point out that the tooth is actually a crown.
    niteowl505

Answer by niteowl505 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• When the dental assistant cleans my teeth she always tries to dig at my temporary crown.
    No-one knows it is different.
    Veneers require a lot more maintenance than crowns, and with porcelain crowns there are different grades of metal that can be used.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2009