Will neutering stop "marking" behavior in the house?

We picked up a foster dog last week. He is a 2 yr old unaltered male. Due to a cold he cannot be neutered for a few weeks. He is housebroken but loves to urinate all over the house, "marking", I assume. It's just a few squirts but it's well, in my house! He likes walls, the couch, and even our new dining set.

Any advice and will neutering him fix the naughty behavior?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 11:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2012 in Pets

• Sounds like he hasn't been properly housetrained (he's NOT housebroken if he's peeing all over the place). I doubt if neutering will stop him doing it. Talk to your vet to see if they can suggest someone who might be able to help you get him over this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2012

• This is why I prefer to have female animals.. Neutering him might stop the marking, I know in cats it sometimes doesn't once they start
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Neutering him might help that behavior but I would not count on it. I would not let him out of your sight. Only allow him in the rooms where you are and if you catch him lifting his leg either squirt him with a water gun or shake a can of pennies at him. Get after him when you catch if you don't then let it go until the next time.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Those are good suggestions we can easily follow through on, thank you KyliesMom5. I'd hate to see my good deed (fostering) turn into a nightmare of a ruined house for us.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• In addition to KyliesMom5's suggestions take him outside every couple of hours to do his business.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• We do....
    As an example: last night hubby and I took him on his 'before bed time walk'. We immediately came in, went upstairs, and while I was showering, hubby told me the dog peed on the wall. So it was less than 10 minutes from LONG walk (lots of peeing) to using our wall as a potty.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• It sounds like he is marking. When we first moved into base housing when we got here, our neutered dog marked inside. He was scolded for it, but once he got sure it was his house, he stopped. He only did it a few times though. Neutering generally calms them down, but not from marking their territory.
    If he's peeing a full pee, then he's not housebroken all the way. If it's just a little, he's marking.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• It's not a full pee. In fact in a couple of spots I barely noticed it. The table and one wall was a bit more splattered but usually it's a quick squirt. Can't wait till he out grows this.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• It can but at his age, it might not. He's been doing it for awhile at this point so it becomes a matter of habit breaking. You should get him fixed anyway though.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2012