How can I wean my 6 month baby from breastfeeding and put him on a good feeding schudule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies don't know time. so we can't expect them to go by a schedule. it's more comfortable & safer to let them nurse on demand. that way, you know they're getting what they need when they need it. & they need breastmilk for a bare minimum of a year. 2 & up is better. schedules can cause weight gain issues if bsby isn't allowed to eat when they want. formula is inferior to breastmilk & not 100% safe. that's your only alternative cause they can't have whole milk. they're only so young & needy once. don't rush them.
    Anonymous

• I weaned my children at 3-4 months, one feeding at at time. I replaced one breastfeed with one bottle for 4-6 days, and then eliminated another breastfeed the same way after my body adjusted to the lower demand for breastmilk. I didn't stick to a rigid schedule but formula takes longer to digest and babies usually take a consistent amount from one feed to the next so they tend to put themselves on a schedule. Solids also help with maintaining a schedule at this age. Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 4:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Why do you want to wean so early, when you have the best to offer him for free?

Schedules are for adults, not infants.

Keep breastfeeding on demand, and forget time, your baby is only little for so long.

The World Health Organization recommends bfing for a minimum of two years, and the AAP suggests a minimum of one year.
    Anonymous

• i agree with the PP... this Q states no reason on why you should ween and i dont think you should! sorry!
    Anonymous

• I you want to ween, then ween and don't let people who don't know you tell you what to do for your baby. I would do BM in a bottle so he gets used to the bottle, then mix in a little formula and gradually build it up.
    Anonymous

• She didn't ask if she should ween, she asked how to ween!
    Anonymous

• You still need to be feeding on demand. Putting your child on a feeding schedule is not a good idea. Not to mention, your baby should be having either breast milk (preferable) or formula for the first year. Solids are not needed
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I recommend this book "On Becoming Babywise" by Dr. Gary Ezzo. It teaches you how to get your baby on a feeding routine, not a strict schedule, but so you're not nursing every hour on the hour wearing yourself out. I know some people don't like the book, but it worked great for me with both of my babies and helped keep me from losing my sanity and giving up breastfeeding, and both of them were very healthy babies, still are very healthy children. You can get the book from ebay or www.half.com.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Breastfeeding is recomended of a minimun of 1yr. Why wean?? BFing i seaisest,free, healthiest, and safest for both you and your child. If you can bf wich you obviously can, why not give your child what they are made to have(BREAST MILK!!!!)
    Anonymous

• Schedules are awesome! My daughter has been on one since we brought her home from the hospital. She is very relaxed and knows what to expect. It also lets her tummy digest and empty the milk that was just fed so her body will be ready for more food. Have you started cereal yet? If you want my full answer I can message it to you personally, this box doesn't give enough room! LOL
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 1:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2008