how do i get my milk to come in more?

I had my son almost 3 weeks ago and I have been pmping because he wouldnt latch on and now is used to te bottle. I was doing really well and gettind about 4oz each breast when i'd pump. But i slacked off and did it only 15min. 3 or 4 times a day. Now I only get 2oz. combined. I pump 20min ever 2-3 hrs but its not coming in more. I drink milk. What can I do to keep up with my baby?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 1:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• lol..prettyrayray said not just any beer but dark beer..No...Any beer..i dont drink dark, i drink light. and any beer will do. i havent heard the oatmeal thing but i know the yeast in the beer is what does it. be prepaired to pump within a couple of hours of drinkin that beer! i could get between 5 and 10 oz
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Drink a lot of water 30 minutes before pumping. Try warm packs on your breasts and breast massage (slow, soft circles moving from the top of your breasts towards the nipple.) make sure you are well nourished (not just well fed). Also, try warm showers with your back to the water. I used a lot of visualization: imagine your milk flowing freely.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 1:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• drink a beer..the yeast in the beer will make your boobs engorge..dont drink more than one a day
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Keep trying to get the baby to latch on. It's not too late, he can still get it right. Spend the day in bed with him and only offer the breast when he gets hungry.

I've heard that oatmeal can bring up supply but, I don't know how it works. Have you tried talking to a lactation consultant?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Not just any beer, you should try a dark one, preferably an oatmeal stout. Anything oatmeal will help, like a bowl of oatmeal and oatmeal cookies.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Also try to latch your baby on, that will increase your supply, plus the baby gets more from sucking than a pump does.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• keep trying to latch. pump ever 2 hours. drink plenty of water, eat oatmeal and drink mother's milk tea. Make sure you are heating healthy too. :) also relax when you pump. stressed mommy means less milk flow. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• drinking milk does not have any effect on your breastmilk.

cut out the bottles and nurse your baby, this is the best and most effective way to boost your supply.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Get that baby to latch. This will be the best solution. It's NOT too late. Go to kellymom.com and look up getting baby back to breast. Go to LLL meetings. Call a LLL leader. They can and will help for free.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Water water water....drink tons of water. Sit and relax where it is quiet and pump. Try every time to get him to latch. Put some milk on your breast to help him realize there is food there. Pump long each time...not just a few mins each time. Consult a lactation specialist. Every hospital has one, so does your local health department. Good luck mama.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2009