How can I produce more breastmilk

My baby was born on the 4th of July and already I am having problems with producing enough breastmilk and the problem is that my baby is allergic to the powder enfamil lipid formula that WIC offers and so I am stuck in a hard place, need to get some ideas of what I can eat or drink to help produce more breast milk. I had no problem with my son prior to this one, I produced so much milk that I was almost always engourged and even 2 years after I had my baby I still had a lot of milk, but what happened to this one... what is the problem?

cindyt2010

Asked by cindyt2010 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bottles are bad for supply. you want to ONLY breastfeed without supplementing especially if your baby is having a bad reaction to formula. babies are meant to be breastfed, so the problem is the artificial milk. constantly offer the breast. supply depends on demand. the more you nurse, the more you make. don't use a schedule. let baby eat as soon as he's hungry & don't wait for him to cry. try fenugreek & mother's tea. pump between feedings even if nothing comes out (stimulation is key). avoid bottles & pacifiers. if you need to bottle feed while raising supply, use wide breast shaped nipples & bottles of breastmilk. PM if you need help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• STOP supplementing. Try visiting kellymom.com for information on breastfeeding and building your supply back up.
    ellaura

Answer by ellaura at 4:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I agree with the answer above!!...the supply depends on the demand!!...however...u should also drink lots of water and milk!! this helped me with my milk production when i was breastfeeding...best of luck!!
    JulieFrancesca

Answer by JulieFrancesca at 4:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• "u should also drink lots of water and milk!!" good advice. you want to drink lots of fluids. but since your son is having allergies to formula (made from cow milk) i'd try to keep that out of your diet for a while, just in case.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• 1. Ditch the formula
    2. Feed often, every 1-2 hours at minimum, and pump after feedings if you have a pump.
    3. Drink your water
    4. Eat oatmeal

Definitely feed often...no longer than three hours between feedings, even if you have to wake baby up. Your body will produce as long as you signal it to do so.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 5:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• As stated before, you need to latch the baby on as often as possible, this will increase your milk supply. Also there is a vitamin supplement you can buy called Fenugreek. It will increase your milk supply. You can buy these tabs at GNC or a health food store. All lactation consultants are aware of this vitamin and there is no side effects to baby, only more milk. Hope it helps!!
    AlanasMom323

Answer by AlanasMom323 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008