Is it common for hemorrhoids to be worse during menstrual cycle?

I'm only 21 & have not had kids & have already had surgery to have hemorrhoids removed & at my 1 month check up the doctor told me they were back. He suggested I have the surgery again, but I didn't (to painful). I have learned to deal with the pain for the most part, but when I am on my period it get 90% worse. I have called my doctor that did my surgery & they said it was normal & I called my GI (stomach) doctor & they said they didn't know, so then I called my gyno & they said they hadn't ever heard of hemorrhoids effecting your period. I have asked some people I know & some people think it could be endometriosis. I don't know what to do or who else to ask =[

lala5590

Asked by lala5590 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2012 in Health

• i've heard of hemmoroids growing during pregnancy but not hurting when on your menstrual cycle. I would speak to my gyne again and a nutritionist, sometimes what we eat can cause those things to our body or even hurt when we have them. Maybe you need to choose a different dr's opinion don't settle for surgery right away.
    sadeyes885

Answer by sadeyes885 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• As to why they worsen during your period, this is fairly common. The hormones during your period can cause relative constipation. This is because the muscles are relaxed in the colon by the hormones. The harder stools can cause more bleeding as they rub past the hemorrhoids. Therefore, keeping your stool soft (with fiber) is important. See your doctor. This can be evaluated and hopefully treated. Good luck!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2012