Kids and facebook

i posted in another question of mine that my dd had a fb account for three months before they shut it down. what i don't understand is why kids her age (10) still have their account?

and just for the reocrd, she was only playing the games that centered around animals and creating towns, she never had mafia wars, crime city or anything like that. she didn't even play that zombie game. and everysingle one of her friends was a family member or someone she called family.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• FB is the root of all evil! Well, maybe not ALL evil, but pretty darn close! lol :p As some other moms have pointed out, there are other age appropriate sites for kids her age to play games. And hopefully at a limited amount, w/ the weather getting nicer. :) My dau likes Moshi Monsters & Club Penguin.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2012

• Why on earth would you let your 10 year old have a facebook account?
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 5:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• why wouldn't i? like i said she was playing games not trying to hook up with people. she refused to accept anyone she didn't know and the only ones allowed to be her friends were our close friends and family members. i didn't see a problem with it cuz i was controlling her account.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Because of safety and privacy issues. Facebook is not set up to handle children. Try Disney.com.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• my son is 12 and he asked me if he could have a FB account... at first I agreed, but then I decided against it. Too much junk out there that ppl do and I don't like all those farmville games because they give computers viruses... lol I know some ppl can fake an age for their kids just so they can keep their accounts. I don't think FB is worth that tho... it's getting really old to me. JMO
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• FB is not for kids.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 5:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• then why is there so many on it? i know of four kids that are on it and are younger than she is. our ex roommate all her kids have an account cuz their legal gaurdian allowed it. they tried to befriend her, but she wouldn't accept them. like i said, she never did anything but play the games that attract the kids.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• Facebook is not for kids. Try disney.com. Try nickelodeon.com.

Or better yet, don't let screens raise your children.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 5:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• the junk is why we only allowed certain family and friends. if they didn't play games then they weren't allowed. she watches the news, she reads the paper and is actually too smart for her age.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• My SIL let her daughter have a FB account at 12 and she was monitoring it UNTIL she noticed her daughter was going in changing passwords,(my SIL could not watch the account 24/7) than he concern also was she knew her daughter's friends (not too many were on FB) but the issue was the pics/posts of the friends of friends who were all in that age group but took pics and used words like they were adults.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2012