Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can we claim our son in our taxes if he was born on dec. 26th 08?


Asked by kiliki_malie at 3:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (9 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (22)
  • Yes, and you get an extra $300 refund for him from the stimulus checks they mailed out last year! I was sooooo pleasantly surprised by that! So in addition of another deduction your little one just gave you $300 smackers! :-D

    Answer by AmyJayne at 8:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • we havent gotten his social security yet and we dont know when its coming in the mail either

    Answer by kiliki_malie at 3:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • As far as I know you can claim as long as they are born before the 31st. I don't think you have to have a ssn for babies under a certain age but I could be wrong.

    Answer by britni11 at 3:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Yes u can claim him. It takes a few weeks.... the hospital sends a paper off. Im not surehow long has been a while. I know on nov 19, I applied for new cards and got 2 of them in 4 days. Its now end of jan and havent got my daugh... must got lost! I suggest maybe call them. If u have that paper from the hospital... it says U have applied .maybe call them the SS office and see if ure baby is in their system.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Oh hey.... i think I brought my daughters crib card to do my taxes....

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I read on the site that it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get the card!

    Answer by faithful78 at 4:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • My friends son was born Dec 31, 2 yrs ago and they were able to claim him that year, so yes. As far as the SSN,s I'm not sure how they went about that.

    Answer by jdrae13 at 4:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • you should be able to!

    Answer by shannonmarie759 at 5:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Yes, just hang on while you get the SSN, because you do need it. Patience...

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • My youngest was born Dec 31 2007 and we claimed her on our 2007 taxes. It didn't take that long to get her SSN. Be patient! It's worth it =)

    Answer by Silvertears1275 at 6:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2009