• In the Spotlight:

The great depression

I thought that if you learned history it won't repeat it's self. If that is the case how did they fix the depression and why are we headed to another one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Globalization....this is a whole new ball game.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 4:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• omg indeed i want to blame globalization i want to progress but not lose our heritage, losing that could make me a bigot, so opposite of what i wanted teach my child
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• This isn't new. The Great Depression - and all of the other ones we've had that people seem to have forgotten, were all global. It's part of the natural economic cycle. The Great one, which was about 6th in a series over 40 years, happened because the market for our goods collapsed in Europe - it wasn't just a US thing - the whole world was hurting. Our economy has always been tied into foreign markets. Every president since Washington ruled with an eye on expansion and conquering foreign trade. If people actually studied history, they would know not to panic when these things happened, and the foolish things people do in a downturn would not repeat themselves.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We got out with The New Deal and with World War II. Everyone fights ideas that are like The New Deal and calls it socialism. They say "Socialism failed!" but it didn't. Roosevelt did somethings, like putting people to work on infrastructure and paying them for it, that got people back up on their feet. Then once the war came along and there were more jobs (especially post war) those infrastructure programs ended and so did that part of our socialist history. We don't have to become a socialist country, but Roosevelt used some socialist ideals to pull us all up by our boot straps. We are still at capitalist country at heart though, and always will be.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think today's Globalization must be especially bothersome to the West, including the US.
    Never before have the billions of people in China, India, Korea had the desire or the actual ability to live like we do and thanks to technology, many are getting there.
    Sure, it'll still take many years for those huge masses to live exactly like us, if ever, , but we're beginning to have to share resources with sheer numbers of people that we never had to and never expected to.
    The pie is getting cut into many more pieces than it ever was and the US is going to keep feeling it .
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• NotPanicking, I totally agree. And the media isn't a help either. They put out all of this hype about unemployment and get the people all riled up and freaking out. Then they have a story about a trillion dollar 'stimulus' package, and the masses agree to something like this because a bad plan is better than no plan. And we expect government to have the answers to these things. Unfortunately, they don't have the answers. They use the panic stricken masses to pass their bad legislation loaded with pork.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• FDR also tried to overthrow the supreme court when they shot down his more unconstitutional policies. A lot of what he did was intended to be temporary, but unfortunately, they remained, and LBJ only made things even worse by increasing reliance on government teats. His short term solutions have actually created an even bigger long term problem.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I wonder if people realize what the unemployment rate was during the great one? We are nowhere near that, not even near what it was with Carter in office. But the MSM make it sound like we are on the cusp of the depression. I think it's possible that we can get there again, but not if people stand up and start taking their futures in their own hands. We all have talents that can help our neighbors. Gosh, I think I might get out and start organizing my community. Seriously. Doing something is better than sitting around and waiting for someone else to do something.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I agree that the Great Depression has happened over and over again, but we just don't call it that anymore. I've heard it referred to as a "bubble" inflating and bursting until the next bubble comes along. It is a normal cycle, though we're getting to the lowest point of it now. The next bubble will likely be green energy and infrastructure investment.

I also agree that we need new ideas besides the bailout agenda. Those big packages will only take us so far, and they add to our already huge debt. I think this is the administration to find the new ideas and implement them.
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 10:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• The New Deal prolonged the Depression

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-s-Policies-Prolonged-Depression-5409.aspx

Vice chair of UCLA’s Department of Economics. “We found that a relapse isn’t likely unless lawmakers gum up a recovery with ill-conceived stimulus policies.

Hrmmmm. Is history repeating itself?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009