5 month old with a bad cold

anything i can do for my 5 month old that has a bad cold. she has a stuffed up nose and is coughing badly! she keeps waking up and coughing and you can tell she is just not feeling well at all. is there anything i can do for her?

genuinely_real

Asked by genuinely_real at 4:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• saline solution in her nose, and use the bulb syringe to suction it out.. put on the hot water and create a "sauna" in the bathroom. the steam will also help clear her up. You can get a vaporizer and add a few drops eucalyptus oil too it, or bath water. (test on a tiny spot of skin first before setting her in the bath to watch fro a reaction. )

Meds aren't safe at this age though. sorry ;(
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• thanks i will try those.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 4:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Poor baby... Hope she feels better. If it lasts too many days... may wanna take her to the doc... my daugh seem to always get an ear infection after a cold. Ya about cold med... i think ure not suppose to giv it to them,,, its been a while since I had a baby but, maybe tylenol is ok. The sauna thing helps!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my baby girl was doing that the other night..I gave her some motrin
    mconatser

Answer by mconatser at 5:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yea my son's nurse said I could use the saline drops. She said I could even use the regular kind, but I don't think I would. I'd feel safer with the infant ones. My son also has a cold right now (he's 5 months old too) so I'm going to call his doctor today and get some of those drops for him.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2009