how can I get my 5 month old to like her car seat

she does nothing but scream the whole time we are in the car...quite frankly i can't deal any more.

mconatser

Asked by mconatser at 5:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure it is fitted properly to her. Maybe there is something that is hurting her. Does it have enough padding? Are the straps rubbing on her neck or something?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Another thought, if it is an infant seat, maybe sit her in it at home occasionally where she can see you and just get used to it.

Or, maybe it has nothing to do with the seat, but the car ride. A smoker, by any chance?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Did she always hate it, or is it a recent development. My son always loved his carseat. Then around 5 months he out grew it and screamed constantly in the car because he was so squished! We had to get a convertible seat that was big enough for him. A lot of the infant carrier style seats are only good up to 20 lbs.

Also, since she has to face rear, she may hate the way things move out the window. Try hanging a blanket or a visor on the window so she can't see the motion. That annoyed my son occasionally when he was a new born...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'd suggest moving to a RF convertible if she's in an infant seat. They're roomier. And, sometimes, they just cry. They get over it. It is sometimes a phase.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I got him one of those toy bars that you stretch across the handle of the car seat and my son loves it. That's not to say he doesn't get bored with it though lol. We also have one of those mirrors that you stick on the seat so you can see the baby from the rear view mirror. It doesn't work for that purpose, but he can see himself in it and it has a monkey on it so he stares and smiles at that. He still hates being in the car sometimes, but he's just gonna have to learn to deal with it!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2009