Should I throw it away?

I left a pot of chilli out by accident last night. Do you think it's gone bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The temperature danger zone is 41-141. If the temp is between those temps, toss it immediately. bacteria begins to grow very quickly in the zone.
    It doesn't matter whether it was covered or not... if it has been out for hours, it needs to go. It is not safe to eat.
    I am a Chef turned SAHM so I have gone through all of the training for catering, etc...and that is not safe food handling and poses a potential for illness.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would put it in the trash. It not wirth maybe getting sick over.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 6:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Was the pot covered? If not throw it away. But if it was covered it should be ok. It's no different then leaving it on a buffet table all day. As long as it's fully cooked there should be no problem.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

I am a Chef turned SAHM so I have gone through all of the training for catering, etc...and that is not safe food handling and poses a potential for illness

me too!!!! throw it out "covered" means absolutely nothing when it comes to food spoilage!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• smell it, taste it, go from there, i would just pitch it but if you need the food test it on yourself first.. it could be okay or spoiled it all depends...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Ask yourself this: Is it worth risking up to 2 weeks of constant vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps...and possibly worse? People who've gotten food poisoning from meat and tomato based dishes are at times subjected to a *lifetime* of hemodialysis because of the damage done to the kidneys and liver.  Here's the thing: It was in a condition to grow bacteria for several hours. These type of bacteria, that can make you very sick, do not wave signs saying "Hey! We're here!"...so smelling and looking and tasting will not help you figure out it they are present. They also produce toxins that are not killed by reheating- even if you bring it to a boil. So, I'm back to my original question: Is it worth the risk? Not to me, it isn't. I would toss it.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2009