If your awake please help

I took my 11 month dd to the er this evening for fever and crying in pain. They said she has an ear infection and sinus infection and gave her antibiotics. Well we came home around 830 gave her tylonal and she went to bed. At 3 I checked on her and she was burning up. So I woke her and took her temp 103.5. I gave her more medicine and tried to get her to drink. She would only drink off a spoon but atleast she drank. I ended up giving her a cool bath which after 20 min dropped temp to 101.2. What do I do. She won't go back to sleep because when she lays down she's in pain. I have to get some sleep. I hate seeing her like this. If her fever goes back up do I take her back to the er or do I just wait till she's on the antibiotics a little bit and just keep doing what I'm doing. Please tell me what you would do.

JerzisMommy

Asked by JerzisMommy at 7:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if it were me and her fever were up i would call doc or go back to the er. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If the fever reaches 103/104, call the doctor, tell them that you were at the ER, tell them everything you told us, and see what they suggest.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'd keep her on the Tylenol and call the pediatrician when the office opens up. As for getting some sleep, maybe you can hold her in a reclining chair? That way she is not laying down all the way so the pressure won't build up as much in her ears. That's so painful, poor little girl. If you lay back on a recliner and hold her on your tummy you might both be able to get some sleep. You'd be surprised at what a little Tylenol and sleep will do for a fever. Don't go to the ER when you can just call the doctor. If you go to the ER you'll just be waiting there FOREVER and won't be able to make your baby comfortable.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You should take her back to the ER

Answer by gemgem at 8:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• She finally went to sleep in her crib. How long shexwill stay that way I don't know. I will call dr in the morning if she's not better. It's so heartbreaking hearing that cry or whine that says shes in pain. :(
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 8:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Let me tell you what my dr has said in cases like this with my ds. He said that you can give your child tylonal and if that doesnt seem like it is working after an hour or 2 you can give your child advil. I know it seems like you are doubling up on doses, but tylonal and advil are both different types of medications. One is a fever reducer the other is a fever reducer AND pain releiver!! Good luck and hopefully once she gets the medication in her she will feel better.
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 8:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Watch out with the Advil(ibuprofin) some kids have allergies. But my experience, 3 teenage kids, is that tylenol(acetaminophin) only gives 3 hour of good relief. I would wake my kids when they were young to give another dose. I also agree that you should call your Dr. ASAP and let them know what is going on. There are a lot of things out there these days that need special antibiotics and you must be careful. I have found most antibiotics will take hold approx. 48 hours of the start of course of meds. Hope this helps.
    God Bless you I hated it when my babies were sick, now that they are teenagers they still act like babies! LOL
    jennrace

Answer by jennrace at 8:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Keep doing what you're doing....when you lay her down, keep her head elevated to help. (we fold a towel and put it under the mattress)

Watch her fever closely and if she can take Motrin, alternate it with the Tylenol (my boys cannot take Motrin...it makes them puke)

Call your doctor as soon as the office opens and tell them everything....do what they say to do.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2009