Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raisins- are they worth it?

My baby girl is 10 months and LOVES raisins.. but to my horror I notices by the time they pass into her stool- they are fully hydrated grapes!!

Is it even worth it to give them to her if she is not digesting them? I noticed the same for carrots. :(

Answer Question
 
ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 9:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • If that is the case she is not even chewing them, which is dangerous. Maybe you could cut them up and see if that changes anything
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • She isn't chewing very well...cut them up or wait until she has molars and can grind those things up!
    TiccledBlue

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • wait...you're saying she's pooping grapes? Or she's just not chewing the raisins?
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • You shouldn't give your kids raisins before the age of 2 not only are they (along with peanuts and other tiny hard foods) easily inhaled by little ones while they are eating, but they are not chewed well and then they swell in the digestive tract and can cause blockages. Maybe try chopping them up for her. It will digest quicker and easier.

    BlessedMommy64

    Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Now see- I agree with BlesedMommy, but when I was visiting my brother- his kids, 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 were eating them, and my nephew who is 1 1/2 gave my daughter one, and she loved them. I figured if he was eating them, it was ok. But after getting a diaper filled with swollen raisins, I started to freak a bit. I think I will chop them in 1/2, she really seems to like them.
    ZoeKatsMom

    Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 11:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • BlessedMommy is right - raisins are a no-no choking hazard until at least 2. And even then, you need to watch closely to make sure they are chewed and that a handful isn't shoved into the mouth all at once.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN