Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How should I file our taxes? help!

I did not work at all during 2008. My DH did. I've searched and searched on google and the only thing it tells me is that we should file "joint" if one spouses income shows a significant difference from the other one, but it never says if you can file "joint" if the other didn't work at all. Does anyone know? I don't want to get in trouble with the IRS for filing joint if we're not supposed to, but I'd like to get as much back as I possibly can (and by the looks of it, filing joint will do that).

Answer Question

Asked by laksmommy at 9:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • If youre married you file joint even if you dont work the income is counted for both.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Yes you would file joint if you want the most money back. I dont have an income but DH does and we have always filed our taxes as joint. You dont need two incomes to file joint on your taxes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Use the IRS Turbo Tax website. Figure it out both ways & see what's gets you the most.

    Answer by kaylamom2004 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Yes, you should file jointly.

    Answer by TilmannsGirl at 9:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Thanks, ladies!

    Answer by laksmommy at 9:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.