dog barks if a leaf falls...help.

my dog misty is just over a year and the past week she barks and runs to the windows and sometimes keeps barking which would make me think someone is here. look out... nothing. its like if a leaf falls off a tree she barks. i will yell misty no but nothing works. any ideas or tips? its just started before she would only bark when neighbors came home. and she only barked once not a few times. im at a loss..

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pets

• How old is she? What kind of dog is she? Has anything in her enviornment changed?
    samara0327

Answer by samara0327 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My dog barks if another animal comes into my yard.. I have no idea how he knows, but he does. We do have some coyotes that have been coming into the subdivision as well... I hate that, it scares me... I don't like to let him out by himself. But dogs can sense much more than we know. Maybe it's actually an animal or something.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• hmmm maybe.. shes i year and 3 months old and a habanise/shisue. shes like a foot long so not a big dog. but one min she will be on the bed sleep next thing i know shes running to the windows barking. like someone pulled into the driveway. so i look nothing. its getting annoying.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• They have those collars that emit a small shock to the dog when they bark. They should have them at your local pet store. Keep it on your dog for a week or two or three, until she gets the hint. Hopefully that will work!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh god, those shock collars are the worst. It can actually put her in a cycle of barking. She barks, gets shocked, barks in fear and pain, gets shocked again.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/barking.html
    to teach you to train her humanely
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• only way to teach a dog not to bark is to first teach it to bark on command. you get her on the end of a couch. you are at the same end of couch and pull away from her asking her to bark. it may take awhile. when she starts to bark you give her hand signal to be quite while you say the words be quite. so when she starts to bark again you just have to say be quite. this won't stop her from barking completely but you have the control over it. watch it's me or the dog on animal planet or dog whisperer on natgeotv.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Small dogs normally bark more than bigger dogs do unfortunately. If she hasnt been doing it long it shouldnt be to hard to stop the behavior. When she starts tell her "quiet" and if she keeps it up I would try a spray bottle. Smaller dogs hate those things. Try a mist first and if it doesnt work then a stream.
    Anonymous

• We have a beagle, and the neighbors called animal control about the barking, (We are awesome friends with the neighbor, they had to do what they had to do, the dog was driving me nuts as well) but anyhow, we got a collar that emits a small amount of lemon scent when he barks and it DOESNT hurt him, so all you bashers there ya go. And our vet told us to get it, and everyones more happy!!! even the DOG!
    naynkiwismom

Answer by naynkiwismom at 4:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009