• In the Spotlight:

Circular reasoning?

I was having a discussion the other day and told the other person that I did not believe in the bible. She then proceeded to try and use the bible to prove it was the word of God because it says so. As far as I can see, that's like if I wrote a book of fiction, and then said it was true in that book, people could try to use that part of the book to prove it was true, because the book says so... does this make sense at all? It seems to be curcular thinking to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've had that never-ending discussion several times, too. It goes something like "... well, I don't believe in the Bible so...." "... but the Bible says...." "yes... I know.. but I don't believe in the Bible" "...but the Bible says..." "I understand, but I don't believe in the Bible..." "...but the Bible says..."

I've been there, girl. Eventually you have to just look at them like telemarketers and say "Thank you, but no thanks" and hang up on them (aka, just walk away)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Using logic to prove faith is silly.

Either you believe or you don't.

CS Lewis aside, most people don't reason themselves to a belief in God.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I aggree with you. I believe in some stories in the bible, & I do believe that Jesus dies for us, or at least that was his intention. But i am not a christian, & i agree that it seems to be circular thinking. In no way shape or form can i swallow the idea that jesus has to be accepted, or we're going to perish. That's just crazy talk. Only one life here.....& if we don't find Jesus we're screwed......OKAY......seems real fare.........
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Wimsey is right, as always :o]

Most people (not just Christians) simply can't fathom that people like you (OP) and me don't have the faith required to believe in their particular religion. To them, their religion makes perfect sense because they have the faith to believe in it. We don't, so of course it's all circular reasoning to us. Just because the holy book says it's right and true doesn't make it true. It WAS written by men, after all.

We have to eventually accept that it's a neverending battle. They'll never convert us but they'll never stop trying. Like Laura said, we have to eventually say "Thanks!" and move on.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Well, i think we can have faith & still not believe in there book. I have lots of faith, but i'm not gung ho jesus. All religion's have faith in order to keep it going. One thing i like about hinduism, is that although they are very creative w/ all there different aspects of god, they can break alot of there information down mathematically. There's no better profe than a good math equation.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• http://nicksauce.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/circular-reasoning.png

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• that's a funny circle by anonymous. Circular thinking..........

god didn't write the bible. Humans did, & it was not Jesus either. gung ho Christians really do have a lot of faith, they even believe things that arent true.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I don't believe in it, it was written and rewritten gadzillions of times by humans, plus I hear or read that different people, different sects (don't know what other word to find for it) say that everyone else "interprets" the bible wrong, and they got it right, I mean, if there is a need for interpretation of bible how much exactly is the truth, to me nothing, nic, nada, zilch, whatever language you can use, bologna, bs, etc etc. To me it is all just a stack of legends put together by people with zero knowledge of science, biology, medicine etc etc.  ages agoand we the modern people with all the knowledge of the world and universe that we have acquired so far,still "believe" in them??????????????????? Give me a break.

BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Funny circle!!

I love the quote by Rev. Michael Beckwith when he said, "The Bible is the inspired words of man ABOUT God." That's all it is. God didn't come down and write the Bible. I'm sure some of the writers meditated or had dreams in which they felt they had communicated with God. And I certainly DO think the Bible is a great spiritual book but that is all. As with everything in life, "Take what you want and leave the rest behind".
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Unfortunately, the your words will fall on def ears.

The people who need to hear it the most (the bible-thumpers) will totally ignore it, because their god and their bible is all they know, or care to know.

I see a lot of people CHOOSING to be ignorant on CM and IRL.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2009