When is the best time to pump?

I've heard between feedings, but if I do it too soon I won't get any milk and if I do it later I'm worried there won't be milk for my baby, but I'd like to get a supply in the freezer for my daughter in case I get pregnant before she turns 1.
(I know you can nurse while pregnant, but I got very very sick with my last pregnancy and if that happens again I won't be able to spare the calories.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would pump one side while feeding on the other. Mornings supply is always greatest. If your baby feeds on both sides switch after pumping the one. You never run out of milk. Actually get more hindmilk which is better for baby.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• That is what I did also, I would pump one side while she was feeding on the other, and that increases your supply also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I pumped in the morning after the first morning feeding. Mine was for times when MIL or someone else would be babysitting during Dr's appointments or other times I would need to go without my son.

BTW - I would do everything you can to prevent getting pregnant before your daughter turns 1. Pregnancy removes minerals from your bones and it takes at least a full year for your bones to get the minerals back. It also takes that long for your uterus to fully recover from pregnancy.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I used to pump exactly half way in between feedings. My daughter nursed every 3 hrs. so an hour and a 1/2 after she ate I'd pump. Don't worry, you will not 'run out' of milk for your baby and in fact your body will adjust, it's all about supply and demand, and start to make more to accomodate for the increased need. Also earlier in the day is the better time to pump and like pp suggested you can also pump on one side while baby is nursing on the other. And there will still be enough milk for her to nurse on that side and she'll be getting the hindmilk which is more filling and higher in calories anyway.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 10:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i say during the morning before feeding because . I know
    if you are breastfeeeding one side the other side leak.

so pump before the baby wake up
    and you still have milk after finish pumping and drink water after you pump...
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Cat, that's up to God, not me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2009