Question about stimulus check last year

When we got the stimulus check last year we only had one child. But our second was born in July 2008. So can we get the $300 for her that we didnt get last year because she wasnt born yet? I have heard mixed things on this but need to know before I file my taxes today.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Nope. The stimulus last year was based on 2007 income tax return info. Since she wasn't born in 2007, you don't get another $300.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• No she wasn't born yet but you will be able to claim her on your taxes. The stimulus pakage was for people here on earth born already they can't go back and say well they had a baby after the stimulus package was given out and go around looking for people who were pregnant at the time all over the US and give them $300. Can you imagine how much time that would take.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I was just wondering. I heard different things. No need to be rude!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I already filed my taxes and used the Turbo Tax program. It explained clearly that if you experienced a change in filing status (ex. having a baby) during 2008, you may be eligible for more stimulus payment. SInce we had a baby in 2008, we are getting an additional $300. You heard correct and anon obviously hasn't spoken to a tax professional.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Actually, if you check the IRS site, you are entitled to more for the second child. I don't believe you will get a check though, but a reduction of your taxes (or an increase of your refund - but not a *separate* check). Go to irs.gov and search rebate check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009