Why?

Why do some people set their profiles as private? I go to check out someone's profile and you can't.

GMR

Asked by GMR at 10:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Because we don't want people that we don't know on our pages that have pictures of our children on it!
    Why does it matter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Because it's like myspace and facebook. There are personal things in other people's profile that they might not want looked at by every Tom Dick and Harry. You have to be accepted as a friend of the person you are looking at to be able to look at their profile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i thougt that if you were on CM then you HAD to do a profile. my bad.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Also- to the anon who said 'why does it matter?" it matters because i just wanted to know. its as simple as that. not every question has an ulterior motive behind it. why so paranoid?
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You do have to have a profile and some of us choose to keep ours private

I am paranoid-I just don't feel like I need to display my childrens pictures to anybody and everybody. Why do you need to be so nosy.
    Anonymous

• Not being nosy. I thought that's what the profiles were there for. i thought you could go check someones out and invite them as a friend and send messages and all that. Otherwise, why does cafemom even have them on there.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• And I dont think it's nosy to check someones profile out. There is so much on there that can tell you about a person. Some people are just more open than others i guess. I understand you dont want people to see your kids. but take a chill pill
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I set mine to where members of cafe mom can view it but no one else, I have been concerned about id theft and stuff or people stalking my kids but I try to not fixate on that. I don't post their names or even my town or state, so I guess it is safe. I am very lonely and had to have a way to other adults. I married a crab who does not like company, lucky for him I like him. LOL
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You can still invite a person to be your friend or send them messages if their profile is private.
    A lot of people don't realize that they can set just their pictures to private or they don't want to deal with chatterbox advertising or they just don't feel like adding things to their default profile. There could be any number of reasons to have it set to friends only.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009