Mom breastfeeds her 6 yr old

This mother still breast feeds her 6 year old little boy. Now normally Im for each their own but this is a little creepy. Especially when the little boy can tell the reporter which of mommys breasts has more milk. What do you moms think?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80480869/

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think its disgusting. 6 years old is far too old to be BF!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I am for extended feeding, but I think the details should be kept out of it unless it is for educational purposes. Telling a reporter which breast is fuller.... GROSS!
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• That is absolutely disgusting. I am all for breastfeeding, but why why why do you need to breastfeed a six year old? If you say for the benefits of breastmilk then f'n pump, that is just disgusting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yuck! I was a brestfeeding mother and there is no way that I would have breastfeed for that long. A year is plenty for actual BF. I feel if they wanted to still keep giving BMilk to their children then it should be expressed manually not by the child. Sick! This woman needs to be looked at mentally. She obviously is getting pleasure out of this and it must feel good to her. To take something sooo beautiful and make it disgusting...I just don't have any words. Makes me ill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm all for breastfeeding. I think it is the most natural thing in the whole world, but this was just disturbing! That child is going to be teased mercilessly because his selfish mother feels the need to go on national television and share her strange behavior with the world.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i find it gross, if she lived in a third world country and did it out of need (like there is only so much clean water to drink and mom can drink the water and child can drink the milk from mom and therefore share the resource) i would not have an issue but i find it weird, i am waiting to see what happens with these kids that were bf-ed to absurd ages.... they will be warped, the question is how badly will they be...

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• after about a year it is no longer a necessary food source. In undeveloped countries they might breastfeed this long because they dont have a lot of good food sources like we in america or europe might. Also at 6 yrs of age it is a security thing, not a food thang. Not to mention it kinda weird when you can have a conversation with your child. My sister feed her only son until he was five. One day she was like he can remember my breastfeeding him, I was looked right at her and
    said of course it was just a year ago that you stopped breastfeeding him and he is six, duh he remembers. My nephew has emotional problems ( he is 10 now). I dont know if breastfeeding him that long has anything to do with it but I suspect it played a part.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Uh Child Abuse, maybe
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I remember my grandfather telling me a story about his younger brother and how long he was breastfed. He said he would come in from school and ask for the "titty" as my grandfather put it. He was a very funny man. I am all for extended breastfeeding, but I think 2 or 2 1/2 is enough. Its good for their immune system,but at some point it stops becoming about that and becomes more of an emotional crutch if not for the child, then definitely for the mother. I think this is about her and not about the child. She hanging on to something that she needs to let go. She going to emotionally cripple this child.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i'd love to say i was shocked by some of the replies here but i find them to be pretty typical of the moms here on cafemom.
    would some of you care to share where you are getting your information? have you done any reasearch or are your comments purely based on your gut reaction to something you know absolutely nothing about?

having said that, 6 is way beyond my realm of comfort when it comes to nursing but, to each their own.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009