My 3 year old won't stay in bed!

Naps and bedtime are a nightmare at our house. My 3 year old daughter will not stay in bed. We have tried everything. We are consistant and she still insists on getting up. Unfortunatly we have even tried spanking but the second we shut the door she is up again. We have tried leaving the door open. We tried a nightlight. We have even tried that bear that lights up when you hug it. We don't know what to do! Help please! Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Then stand outside the door and silently put her back to bed the second she gets up. Keep doing it, she will get it. When you give in she learns that as long as she keeps getting up you will give in eventually. It could take a couple of hours, the first time you completely follow through. The next is not so bad. The trick is staying silent and calm as you put her back to bed over and over. Little ones are very willful, but when you don't back down and you do it calmly she is will listen.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Well at 3 yrs old my daughter stopped taking naps so it could be a matter of her being ready to cut those out. And then without a nap she'd be more tired at the end of the day and be ready for sleep. I know you say you're being consistent but I would establish a bedtime routine for her also. Whether it's bath, book, bed, etc. My daughter always sleeps with the same stuffed animals and we also have a cd player in her room that we softly play lullaby music for her to fall asleep to. How we say goodnight is even the same every night. She hugs and kisses daddy then hugs & kisses me and I say 'Sweet Dreams, See you in the morning, I love you, Goodnight'. It's weird but kids like and even need routine and structure and don't like change. So when we do and say all these things to her she automatically knows it's bedtime and time to fall asleep. Hope some of that helps and good luck with your daughter!
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 11:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it is recomended by pediatricians that children nap untill ffffirst grade and even sometimes then theystill may need them after school.......but i have to agree with answer 1 and just add that kids under 13 should not haave a tv in there room and if they do it may be more of a distraction then the help u hoped it to be also if u have a play room or spare i would try putting all her toys in there except 1 single toy she can sleep with like a bear or doll ext then after she is consistintly sleeping well u could put the toyus bck all i know is i have 3 boys and without consistincy my home would b insane make a schedule and keep it!!!!! no exceptions
    tripadiamondmom

Answer by tripadiamondmom at 2:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have a son who is 20 months, and he naps twice a day. His nighttime sleep is a little less to be desired. He will go down at night but a few hours later he is up and in our bed. I guess I feel that he has had a rough start since he was born. He had to stay in Childrens Hospital for a while after he was born. Then when we brought him home he was on Oxygen. Then last year I was in the Hospital with Pnemonia for 10 days and that caused alot of set back for him. I am hoping he will outgrow it, as long as I stay consitent. But I think that every child is different, and like a Dr. told me, use whatever works for you at the time.wink mini

songnmyhrt64

Answer by songnmyhrt64 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have to disagree with tripadiamondmom
    Kids should only take naps until they can get through the whole day without being tired/cranky. This is different for all children. Some children need more sleep than others. My friend has 4 kids and none of them sleep well at night, they stay up very late. Her 3 1/2 year old still takes long naps in the afternoon.
    My daughter stopped taking naps at about 2 1/2, maybe a tiny bit later. She still will occasionally if shes sick or very worn out.
    I would say the average age would be 3 to stop napping, but its your personal decision, you know your child best.

A bedtime routine and being consistent and firm, and not letting her get back up sound ideal to me! Good luck!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have to turn the light off and switch the door lock to the out side I called health and welfare and they said that its not child abuse,if your doing it sp they will go to bed but if you lock them in there all the time it is...
    Anonymous