what can i do to ready my daughter for the concept of potty training?

My daughter is 2 years 2 months, She knows what a BM is and pee and she tells me "i poop" when she needs to be changed and she also can tell me when it's starting to come out. She really doesn't do that with pee and she'll sit on the toliet. but never has gone. The DR says she has part of the steps but not all. How can i tell when she gets the rest cause right now i just am waitting not wanting to push the issue and discurage her. So since i still use diapers how do i know when she's ready? Are there character movies for kids that would help her learn the idea?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 11:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just start sitting her on the potty at times when going is expected (before baths, before leaving, while getting dressed, before bed, etc) Don't expect her to pee or anything, but just sit at first.

Have her go in with you...she'll see what it's all about.

We let the boys work as they wanted to until they turned three...then we hit it hard core and started pushing a bit. We've been working with our current 3 year old for a month now...he pretty much has it already.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• With my oldest, I would just leave the potty out where he could get to it. Whenever I went to the bathroom, I would ask if he had to go potty. Sometimes he would sit down and try, sometimes he would go, sometimes not. I would do the same thing when I changed his diapers. I'm doing the same thing with my youngest now (he just turned 2 in Dec). He has yet to do anything, but that's okay. My oldest was fully potty trained by the time he was 3. It might have taken a little bit longer than it does with some kids, but they're all different! Just keep offering for her to go and she'll get it eventually!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Read books about potty training and let her teach a dolly how to go potty on the potty . Try to take her to the potty to sit down and try about once an hour. My daughter loves it when I sing songs with her or read a book to her while she is on the potty helps to keep her on for a few mins to give her time to go if she has to. chart progress with stickers. offer praise for trying even if she doesnt go. I also gave my daughter a treat when she went in the potty, like getting to watch a special movie or do something and occasionally a piece of candy like m&ms. Good luck! And enjoy!
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• There is a book called "once upon a potty". The first time I read it, I thought it was silly and disgusting, but my little sister loved it. She was about 3 at the time and it really helped her to get the concept of pooping. My son is 2 yrs 10 mos and he is about where your daughter is. He knows when he poops and he will tell me but he is resisting the potty.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Take her into the bathroom with you. Tell her that this is how big girls go potty. that you don't go in your pants the way she does.
    Take her to the store and get her come "big girl panties" This will help her too. tell her that she can start wearing them when she starts going in the potty like you do.
    sit her on the training potty or big potty whichever she's comfortable with. praise her even if she doesn't go. try stickers, have her pick them out! go over board with praise when she DOES go. she'll want to get that reaction out of you every time and then may even try going.
    it's a long process just remember to keep at her :D
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 1:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my daughter does the same thing. ill take her to the potty with me
    007wifey

Answer by 007wifey at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009