Tv and A.D.D.?

My 3 year old watches a lot of TV. She plays and stuff when her half brother is here and we read to her but she still watches a lot of tv. She is very smart but is it possible that she could get A.D.D. from wathcing too much. What are some signs of A.D.D.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Health

• i've heard that when children under 3 watch a lot of TV, that it can lead to ADD because their brain gets used to the fast moving images and it changes the wiring of their brain. I found the following link: http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_story.asp?slug=ADHD%20Toddlers it's the findings of a study done by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• That's a bunch of BS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• no, children are born with add, look up the symptoms at google for that age group and the disease,,, you can get behind from watching too much tv but you cannot catch add from it. just turn the damn thing off (i know much easier said than done)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Watching too much tv can lead to behavioral problems which can be mistaken for ADD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Watching a lot of tv is a poor choice for you child if for no other reason than:---it isn't so much what is on tv (as long as it is age level) but it is what is NOT going on when the tube is ON!!!! Creativity, physical activity, relationship building. The French banned tv for kids under 3 with the following quote: Television viewing hurts the development of children under 3 years old and poses a certain number of risks, encouraging passivity, slow language acquisition, over-excitedness, troubles with sleep and concentration as well as dependence on screens.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• ADD is a neurological disorder you are born with, you cannot "get" ADD from watching t.v. However, if a child watches too much I suppose they could develop symptoms that mimic it. Look it up at http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm or google ADD/ ADHD.

I have it, my daughter has it. There is a genetic component to it, but it's not caused by things like t.v. watching, etc.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If you can get ADD o ADHD from watching a lot of tv when you're a toddler, I would of gotten it. My son had ADHD and got it from my husband. It's genetic.
    Anonymous