Really NEED to know!!!

Of late my 6 month old boy has been taking in very deep and raspy breaths! He sometimes makes a high pitched sound with it. He also acts like he is trying to push a poop out! Kind of like he is constipated... But he does it a lot! Any advice or possible what it could be? Thanks much!!!

reneesloop

Asked by reneesloop at 11:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'd be setting up an appointment with my pediatrician asap! Sounds to me like he could have asthma!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Get him to a doctor - yesterday.

Does anyone smoke in the house or around the baby? It sounds like RSV or pneumonia - not something to mess around with.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I agree. Asthma. Take him to the doc asap.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• That's what I think too! But why is it just starting now! I also have asthma.... :(
    reneesloop

Answer by reneesloop at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• No one smokes in the home!!!
    reneesloop

Answer by reneesloop at 11:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• good luckat the doc.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Who knows. Maybe is reacting to something new. Let us know what you find out. Good luck momma.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Does he have a cough with it? It does sound like you are describing a "wheeze". My daughter was wheezing when she had bronchitis, bronchiliolitis, and just bad colds. She ended up on a nebulizer to help open her lungs. It could be allergies and it could be as simple as getting an allergy med for your son. Definately make an appointment.
    Anonymous

• You can get asthma at any age in your life...it's not something that necessarily shows up at birth.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Make him an appointment to see the pedi, definately, and if you can, video tape the next time your son has an episode so that the doc can see exactly what you mean ('cause, you know, our kids never "perform" on cue in the doctor's office). You also might want to take notes of anything new he's been eating since this behavior startted, as well as new soaps, detergents, etc. that you've used or perfumes, deodorants, shampoos, etc. and not just used on him, but on anyone in the family (in case it is an allergic reaction triggering the symptoms).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009