Those with older teens, Do you still do family vacations?

My son is 14 and my daughter will be 16 at the end of the summer. She wants a job and depending on what she does we may not be able to go.

robinkane

Asked by robinkane at 8:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2012 in Travel

• We did family vacations even through the college years. The kids often had summer jobs where they could work out the time off with their boss.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2012

• We did family vacations with my parents from the time I was born to the present, it just grew as our family grew, we got married and had kids. My parents still rent one huge (14 bdr) oceanfront house and everyone comes. There are 13 cousins age 15 and under - they have a great time.
    When we had jobs as teens, we asked off for the week. It was not optional for us - beach week was important to my parents. There were other short vacations we could (and did) miss, but not beach week. The one time my youngest brother was a camp counselor and couldn't take off during the summer, the rest of us were in college and got out in early May so we went in mid May, once we got jobs it made more sense to go the week after Labor Day when we only had to ask for 4 days off (since we got the holiday). But we always went.

Answer by missanc at 3:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2012

• Our kids still go on vacation with us. DD will work it out with her boss.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• We are going to have this problem this summer.
    We will end up doing day off trips to Yellowstone.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2012

• We go together- but my kids havn't had the problem of working around a job...yet
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2012

• Absolutely! If you want to stay in the states Universal Studios is tons of fun.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 1:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2012