itchy head?

my 4 month old has been scratching his head alot, to the point that it's bleeding in some spots, and there's some reddish spots where he's itching, I don't know if they are the cause or effect. anyone delt with this before? (I'm taking him to the doc on thursday.)

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try using dandruff shampoo, just make sure not to get it in his eyes. that's what my pedi told me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• have you checked him for headlice? or have you changed shampoos in the last few weeks? He may have an allergy. If that does not help, call the doc cause sometimes illnesses cause itching.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• He doesn't have any hair, or lice
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My daughter has this problem. It's called seborrhoeic dermatitis. Until you can go see the doctor to have the diagnosis confirmed, you can put hydrocortisone 1% cream (like Cortaid) on his head two times a day. This will take down the redness and itching. This may be all that you need to do to get it under control. It didn't for us, so the next step our doctor recommended was using Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo twice a week. That didn't help us, so we ended up getting a prescription shampoo what has a strong dose of the active ingredient in Selsun Blue shampoo. This is what cured my daughter. You could try using Selsun blue first instead of getting a prescription. Good luck! It's horrible to see them so uncomfortable.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• On a 4 mo old, you need to see the DR for a dermatologist referral. It could be seborrheic dermatitis or it could be psoriasis or it could just be dry skin, but using anything medicated on a child that young probably isn't a good idea. I use the Neutrogena Tgel, and if it gets into the eyes, its very painful and it stinks. Thats exactly what happens to my head if I stop using my shampoo and my head itches like crazy. Poor baby. Hope it works out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2009