• In the Spotlight:

how long till my dd will tell me when she has to go potty??

We have been potty training for quite some time, and she can stay dry all day because i take her to the potty every so often. She has been so good at it...but the dilema is, how much longer will this go on until i dont have to prompt her to use the potty, when should she just tell me or go to the potty herself? She is 2 1/2 by the way. We have been doing this vigorously since new years. she gets it, and likes it, but....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just like i said in your other q, you started too soon! it shouldn't take that long to potty train. just keep on doing what you are and asking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• There is no set age when kids will do this. She could start telling you tomorrow or it could be a year from now. This is one of the biggest frustrations in potty training and the only thing you can do is be patient.

Remember, in order to use the potty all on her own:
    (1) She has to really pay attention to that feeling - and not to the TV, the book she's reading, the toy she is playing with, or any one of a thousand other things clammering for her attention. This is why accidents are still common in early grade school. Kids get caught up in something and forget to listen to their bodies.
    (2) She has to be willing to stop playing with or doing whatever she is currently doing and go to the boring old bathroom. Who's going to take her toys while she's gone? Will playtime be over and it will suddenly be time to do something boring when she gets back?

Just keep taking her. She'll get there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We started new years day too with our daughter. She probably last week started just going on her own. There are still accidents but not as often and very rarely. She still hasn't told us she needs to go, we suggest she try every so often but she has been just going on her own. just keep working with her. Our DD is still not night trained or trained for public, she has told us once in public she needed to go but that's it. She is still in a pull up when we leave the house or it's nap/bed time. Do you have a rewards system, that is another thing I think that helped her get it so fast!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You did not start too soon. Not every kid trains instantly.

I was answering your other question when it was deleted. If you want more info, PM me.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• For her second year it was like on and off since I was pregnant for 9 months out of that time, and one of those months we were preoccupied with moving. so it was on and off. but she was doing it well after her third birthday. and we had a few accidents, but she was fully trained within a month. what really worked for us wasn't pull ups. it was putting her in big girl panties, and we told her not to pee on dora HAHA. it worked. she had two accidents, and I made HER clean up the mess.
    But I agree with the others, she's got to be able to listen to her body not get too into her toys and forget and pee. or poop. it's going to take time it wo'nt happen right away. keep working with her, she'll get it. jsut remember she won't go into kindergarten in diapers!
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 1:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• all kids are different, explain how she needs to take control and get a reward (fav candy in a jar she can see but not reach) for when she goes alone, let that be the goal now... talk about the goal a lot, kids remember what they hear first in the morning more than anything (education theory ) so talk about it then, talk about that is what big kids do... just get her focused on your goal and reward it...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009