transition from rear to forward facing

My daughter will be 1 in a little less then a month. Do you think it would be un-safe to switch carseats now or should I just wait until she hits her first birthday? She is really starting to get heavy to care the infant car seat around everywhere...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hate carrying the infant seat around so I just unstrap him and leave it in the car. You should keep her rear facing as long as possible.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Check your state's law. The rule of thumb(and most state's have this law) is 20lbs AND 1 year. Our daughter only made it 5 months in the infant carrier before she was too tall for it so we moved her to a convertable carseat which can be rear facing or forward facing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• its prob fine i did mine two weeks before hand too they were just the same u know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I stopped carrying the car seat around at about 9 months. I simply took her in and out of the seat, just like you'll have to do if you switch her.
    So, I'd say, keep her rear facing like you are supposed to and start getting used to taking her out of the seat while it is in the car.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• KEEP HER REAR FACING AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Keep her rear facing as long as you can, just don't carry her around in the baby carrier. The are sooo much safer rear facing. I kept my daughter rear facing well past her birthday.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think she's old enough for a rear-facing convertible seat.
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Broken leg...cast it.

Broken NECK...casket!

Keep her rear facing all through her toddlerhood as well! You can buy a car seat that will go both ways from Walmart or ToysRUs for about $50!

And f*ck the inconvenience!  Your child's life is more imoprtant!  (or at least it shold be...) 

Don't turn her around yet!!!

Anonymous

• The reason they are safer in rear facing car seats is because when they are forward facing in a car accident their spinal cord can separate from their spine causing permanent paralysis from the neck down. Their necks are not strong enough to support their head until at least a year old.

That being said, the chances of this are fairly low, but are you really willing to risk it?

I feel very strongly about car seat safety because their little body relies on you to keep them safe. They cannot make this choice, your job is to make it for them and you have an obligation to keep them as safe as possible. I would not take the risk.

Please really think about it before you make this decision. I would keep them rear facing as long as possible.
    Anonymous

• then take her out of the carseat when you take her out of the car?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2009