Baby shower etiquette

I belong to a women's charitable organization and have a bunch of friends from there who already did something for me regarding baby gifts. Now my SIL is coming from out of town to host a shower where I live. I normally would have invited my friends from that organization but don't feel like I can because they already gave me gifts. Is it ok to invite just 2 of my closest friends from there and tell them not to bring a gift? It won't be a very big shower since my family (except my parents) all live out of state.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes. Just explain to them that she really wanted to throw you one and you are inviting them because you are so close, but you don't expect anything from them except to come and have fun. And do this before the invitation arrives. Really close friends will totally understand.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• yeah that is fine, just tell them to keep it quiet so the others dont get jealous.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• you actually can invite them all if you wanted...just because they already gave you a gift doesn't mean they might not like to see what you do get.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I invited some friends to two (I don't have that many to go around!) and let them know they did not have to bring a present, I just wanted them to show up.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009