formula feeding info Please.

I am pregnant with my second baby. I breastfed my daughter. This time though I will have to formula feed my second baby and I know nothing about formula. What brands are best?, anything you can tell me about formula I would appreciate knowing.

hypersquirrel

Asked by hypersquirrel at 12:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're quite brave. The lactivists are going to eat you aliiiiiiiiiive. (I get eaten alive nearly every day because I formula feed =oD)

But yeah, anyway. I use Enfamil Lipil with Iron, since that's what WIC provides. My daughter does quite well on it. You sometimes have to try different ones, some babies are allergic to the milk protein or whatever it is, so they have to be on soy. Some babies have acid reflux, so they have one for that. Some babies are colicky, so they have one for that. You sort of have to try them out and figure out which one works the best. Your pediatrician can help you with that. Good luck!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i went with enfamil with iron... its the closet to breastmilk
    MiLeesMommy08

Answer by MiLeesMommy08 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• All babies tolerate different brands. Our pedi said that store brands are just as good as name brands because it's all regulated by the FDA.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• enfamile liple is good or simulac i hope i spelt them ok lol make sure its got iron and u can get formula from wic for free if u have a low enough money spand and its about 20 to 25 dollars a can if not its horrible but if u can afford it they have can that are big that compare to those brands that are twice the size that are like 15 dollars a can hope this helps the bottle by Playtex drop-ins are the easiest to clean
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i thought i needed to supplement breastmilk for a few days and tried the powdered and the concentrated liquid. the liquid made my son so gassy but it seemed like he was unable to fart without me helping him (by patting his back or working his legs) and it made him so cranky. i just prefer the powdered now because it's not that hard to mix. and unless your water is particularly funky, you don't have to use bottled water to mix your formula. and it doesn't have to be warm, either - you might find that if you don't get your baby used to the warm water, you'll be a lot happier at 3 in the morning when you just need to mix and shake and feed! i am using enfamil lipil with iron because it is the basic formula everyone recommends and wic provides vouchers for it.
    sp4rkl3z

Answer by sp4rkl3z at 12:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• maybe you get eaten alive because of comments like those, cait!
    Anonymous

• I really liked Good Start. I also liked the CostCo brand.
    Truly, all of the brands meet the same standards. To a large extent, it is what works best for your baby. You might start with whatever free samples you get. If you baby seems fine, great! If he seems gassy, then try something else.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• *rolls her eyes at anon 12:19*

That's so helpful!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i am formula feeding because i choose to and as much as your going to hear about it dont let anyone get to you. I was formula fed and i have a strong immune system and am healthy! I used similac, good start and enfamil (i tried all 3) and i found enfamil works best but because im on wic i have to use good start (at least until i talk my ped into writing a note so i can put her on enfamil) good luck to you
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You're right! My comments weren't helpful but unecessarily bashing is helpful? PUHLEASSSSE!!!

use whatever formula your baby tolerates.
    Anonymous