How white are your whites?

Mine are awful. I think I'm just not a good launder-er. If I use bleach, I turned them yellow, no matter how much I used. If I use nothing, they just get dingy. My whites are just dull with a hint of a light brown/grey tinge. I hate it.

So how white are your whites? And whats your secret?

When we lived in our house, I could hang things outside to dry and the sunlight would help bleach them, but now that we're staying in an apartment I don't have that luxury.

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I use Oxiclean and bleach for my whites...t-shirts socks undies with hot water. When do u add the bleach before you add clothes or after? I find if I add bleach after a minute or two it does a better job. I have never had the problem with them yellowing. It could be your water though or are you making sure the clothes you bleach are bleachable? Some whites youshould use warm or cold water. Read the labels.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 2:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Use oxyclean! I use it for whites and colors. It's great.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Hmm... mine aren't very white, but they aren't super-dingy either. Mine are icky though... my husbands tee shirt are all sweat and red dirt stained.
    The Cheer lady claims to "fight the dingies"... that's what I happen to have right now, cause it was on sale. I only use bleach every now and then. I used it on a load of whites recently, and it turned one of my fave old thrift store shirts yellowish. So now I'm mad at bleach, and don't think I'll be employing it for awhile.
    I always wash whites on hot, and only with other whites. And I don't wash my husband's muddy socks with the rest of the whites, I wash them with his muddy work jeans.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Mine are white I will socked them in warm water in bathtub for 2 or more hrs before putting them into washmashine.I add some detergent and will wash them in hot cold cycle.
    mimikooo

Answer by mimikooo at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Not White enough........
    and I just buy new socks....::))
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You know what, I just noticed last night that it looked like some of mine are turning yellow too?? What is that? I only use bleach and laundry soap on all my whites all the time, and I always wash the whites in hot water?? What am I doing wrong?
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Haha, mine aren't that white either, but it's mostly just socks anyway :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

What does soaking them in the bathtub do for them?

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I put baking soda and vinegar in my wash water to keep socks white.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009