• In the Spotlight:

Epidural or not?

Hi. I'm 15 wks pregnant & this is my first. I know its kinda early to be worrying about this, but I can't decide when I go into labor if I should have the epidural or not. I really, really don't like pain, but I don't know what kind of side affects an epidural has. Is it worth it or should I try it with out the epidural??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• oh yeah do it its a life saver and i did it with mine every time i have 4 and one due in april
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Witch one do you want. Pain or no pain.No pain=epidural. Pain= no epidural.

Answer by louise2 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i had one with both my kids the first one didnt work and the second one did
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I went in saying I wasn't going to have one. But then after 30 hours of labor, I had to have one because I was just so tired and at that point a lot of pain. I wouldn't worry about it right now though. Maybe labor will be a breeze for you. It's different for everyone. You have until you're about 7 cm to decide, so no need to make a decision now. =) Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• Mine wore off right before I had to start pushing, but I was actually able to take a nap through my contractions and get some extra energy. I also had blood pressure issues and it helped me keep my bp down during labor. My OB said he and his wife had 4 kids and she had one every time so to me if my doc (who is awesome) would recommend one for his wife then the pros must out weigh the cons.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• childbirth doesn't have to be painful. Look into your options. Epidurals are not the best thing in the world, there are plenty of side effects to mother and baby. drugs are also not safe. Your best option is to explore what labor and delivery should be, not the mainstream idea of "give me the drugs". People with a low pain tolerance can have beautiful painless births, because they WANT to and are not afraid of birth. Those women who "can't" do it, believed they couldn't from the get go, or allowed interventions to put them in a situation where coping is hard to do.

There shouldn't be fear in childbirth, that's what it boils down to. Birth can be intimate, and even pleasurable.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I didn't have anything w/ both of my kids.. My husband has major back injuries because of epidural. The way I looked at it, you got to go through it no matter what you do.. With it or with out it.. Good luck.
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I did natural with the first 2. With my third I did have one and the dr hit my back bone. I had back pain for like 2 months off and on b/c the dr pretty much broke that part of the bone. Never again would I have an epi! I'm due again in july and it will be all natural same as the first 2. Women have been having babies since the beginning of time. It may be painful (it is) but so worth it.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• No epi for me. I'd rather not drug my baby. I can endure the pain and if you prepare, you can use natural methods for pain management. You body naturally makes pain relievers. Do your research. There are natural childbirth groups here on cafemom that have tons to useful info on epi's.
    BTW- I have one child and another on the way. Didn't use an epi or any pain meds for my first and am not using one for the one I'm preggo with now.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have 2 kids, my first I had an epidural, my second I didn't. I found that my second labor was much better....not easier, but better. Of course it hurts like hell, but the recovery was easier for me I felt like I bonded easier(not saying you don't bond with an epi, I found I bonded sooner without it).
    My best advice would be try to go without an drugs or epi. If you can't handle it, you can always get an epi. But I def would recommend that everyone at least try to go without it.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009