How do you teach all kids with having to deal with more than one subject? How do you deal with younger one when you homeschool the older ones?

I am a stay at home mom of 5 kids and homechool 3 that I just started to homeschool this year and wanted to know how I can teach out loud 3 different subjects. I really like homeschooling but it gets me kinda discouraged. The 2 younger ones seem to only want my attention when I am teaching the other 3. They want to be in my lap and climbing on me and all other things that kids like to do when your attention is begin drawn to other places. Please help me wtih this. I have them on a schedule but it seems like I can never stick to it. Please any mothers out there that can help me with this I would really love to hear from you.. If you homeschool your kids please fill free to talk to me at anytime with maybe the way you do things, advice can help alot. Please contact me through my email too at harpercaln5@netzero.com I really need help with this.. Please and Thanks for your advice on this..
Heather Harper

harperclan5

Asked by harperclan5 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I started homeschooling 2 of my boys this year...pre-K and kindergarten. In a couple years I'll be homeschooling 3 kids. (my DD is 2)

I've been doing homeschool during her naptime to keep her out of my hair, lol. I'm no good for sticking to schedules either and there are days when we homeschool after dinner and some days we homeschool first thing in the morning. I just like to do it when I get the chance.

Maybe you could set up a little area for the younger ones to play. Each day, set something different out so they don't get bored so easily. For example, one day set out play-doh. Another day set out a bucket of potato heads. Another day set out coloring supplies. Another day set out scissors and old magazines.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It can be a juggling act!

As for me... I have 4: 10, 6, 5, & 2. We don't have a schedule - would never work LOL We've tried, too! With us, my 10 yr old works mostly independantly. I go over the material with him, he takes his stuff into my bedroom (away from the chaos of the little ones) & does his work. If he has questions, he asks. I check his work as he finishes each subject.

My younger 2 (less than 13 mos apart, so I'm teaching them at the same grade-level) do PC learning games, watch educational programming, & practice dry-erase workbooks while their younger sister is up. During her nap-time is when we break out the regular workbooks & arts/crafts.

I've discovered over the years that, in a situation like ours (lots of kids, small spaces, little ones hanging off your legs), flexibility & creativity are key. You can PM me any time if you think I could be of any help.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I Home schooled my DS1 for K and 1st grade.I put him into B&M school this year Because he asked if he could try it out. Man we are all regretting it. Next year we will be Homeschooling again and can't wait. DS1 will be 3rd G and DS2 will be K DS3 will be 1 yr. old and hanging on my knees! LOL!

We tried a routine schedule and it made it harder for us. With younger kids present it was very discouraging to be constantly disrupted. What worked for us was taking every opportunity available (it also made everyday different both kids and myself were more interested).

I would read Language Arts material during meal times. There mouths were full and ears were open. Questions and discussions while cleaning up.

Faewds

Answer by Faewds at 2:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son is very quick to learn math and gets bored very quicly doing work sheets! So I would write the problems out index cards and make it into a tresure hunt. ( the clues were usually counting ex: 10 steps down the hall) He had to solve the problem and he taught his little brother to count by him counting with his brother every clue. They loved it! Math is really easy to make into different games.

I really tried to engage DS2 in all the lessons that were hands on and allow him to participate at his level. This satisfied his need to feel included and usually he would go and play with his toys if it was boring him and he would leave us alone.

I prepared lunch and snacks the night before and that made things easier. After Breakfast I would let DS2 pick out a snack and put it in his basket and when he was hungry he could get it himself.
    Faewds