What makes you gain weight after you quit smoking?

Is it the actual quitting? or it is that people sometimes resort to food when craving? I mean, is their some type of significant proof that actually quitting smoking will make you gain weight or what? But If I exercised everytime I craved to "occupy" myself would I still gain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Health

• i dont think you would but i know that eating helps with the cravings alittle so thats one way to gain
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yeah I think it's from constantly wanting to put something in your mouth and resorting to food.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Cigarettes suppress your appetite. I turned into a carrot stick addict when I quit....but it's much healthier lol
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think a lot of people resort to little treats or snacks to help with the cravings. Constantly sticking something into your mouth becomes a habit itself. Most people I knew that quit used suckers because they had SOMEWHAT the same shape and lasted longer than a piece of candy.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My mother gained a ton of weight after stopping smoking because she said she could finally taste and smell food for the very first time and was loving it so much she was eating more. Same thing happened to my neighbor.
    cabinlover

Answer by cabinlover at 10:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2009