To people who have had rings sized up.

How much did it cost? I'm looking to have my great aunt's engagement ring sized up from what looks like about a five up to an eight. How much do you think it would come to? Am I better off just buying new ring and using the diamonds I have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2012 in Shopping

• Depending on the ring they may not size it up that far. For rings with narrow bands it is not usually recommended to go more then 1 size up. Basically what they do is stretch the gold that is there and going to far up makes it too thin. I had my grandmothers ring sized for me though from a 5 to a 7 and what they did was cut the bottom half of the ring off and replace it with new and you cannot tell where the seam is. It was more expensive, but much better. Cost really depends on your area and the jeweler. Mine costs about $30 8 years ago.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2012

• Reputable jewelers don't stretch rings. They will cut the shank and solder a small bar of gold in. If a ring is sized correctly, it will be as strong as it was before. Most rings are ordered in a stock size 6, so most rings are sized up or down. The last time I was working in the jewelry business, gold was $400 an ounce, and now it's around $1700, so the price of sizing has gone way up. I have no idea what is being charged these days. Here's a bump for someone who may have dealt with it more recently.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2012