Should I fundraise for my kids summer vacation?

My SO laughed but I'm kinda serious. Would it be ok if me and the boys started fundraising for their summer vacation? They want to do karate and go to camp and maybe, just maybe Disney World (which we have been saving change for). I just had a baby 6 months ago and just can't afford everything but I don't want them to miss out as they have been wanting to do Karate for 3 summers now and I haven't been able to afford it. If it would be ok...what kind of fundraiser should it be?...candy bars, candles? Please give me some input! Thanks!!

mom630

Asked by mom630 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Tricky question. I have high schoolers and have always done fund raising through the school. I don't know how well of a reception you'll get from strangers if you go to door if you're not affiliated with an organization or school. So family may be an option for help. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't fund raise because it's a great idea and can teach your children a great many lessons. How old are they? Can they work -do odd jobs for people like yard work or clean. There are organization that offer fund raising such as Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Discovery Toys, Interstate Batteries and the list goes on. If you have any friends that work with any of these companies they may be able to help you. Good luck : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would not do fund raisers, I personally hate them. LOL. But my children do cheerleading,dance,and do a lot of oher activities...it adds up and gets expensive so I just work from home, I do booty parlor parties to make an extra couple hundred a week. I use the money on their activities, for savings, and other expenses that come up. If you do choose to fund raiser,maybe try beef jerky or candy bars.Good Luck
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think the odd jobs idea is great!

Selfish to teach your kids to help themselves? I hope not!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Have the kids do a yard sale- if they know they will get the money you'll be surprised what toys they are willing to let go of! And sell water and cookies/brownies during the yard sale.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it's menial but if you want i need some virtual online host/hostesses. i pay 10% commissions on a weekly basis. i sell avon/mark and will give you a code to use. everyone that logs in with your code is considered your customer. i pay you 10% off their order(s). let me know if you're interested.
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 2:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• you can try having your kids (accompanied by you) ask neighbors if they can move lawns, clean house, etc, for some extra cash to fund for karatee.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• yard sale is also a GREAT idea. Good luck.
    xxhazeldovexx

• mow* sorry
    xxhazeldovexx

• I think a fundraiser is a great idea! I can help you out if you wish!!! If you want too email me!
    Onecoolcandle

Answer by Onecoolcandle at 11:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2009