Getting Organized?

I have a toddler and a 7month old. How do I get organized and how do I know what to throw out and what to keep? I need a good method to organizing the toys and closet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep the ones they play with and throw the rest and im not sure what all do u mean be more specific
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• When my ds was 2 I bought one of those toy shelf's with the 9 bins in it he quickly learned that each type of toy goes in a different colored bin, kept the toys organized and helped him learn to organize them himself. At first I put a picture of the toy that "belonged" in each bin on the front of it so he could match them up.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I mean, does anyone have any good organization techniques? I have about 5 square plasic box like things that stack and I have labels on the front of them that say Barbies, Babies, Play Kitchen, Dress Up. But it doesnt seem to be working that well. Also the closet is a mess. I just wanted to know if anyone has a better way to organize so that we all can find things easily.
    Anonymous

• I love the toy shelves with bins too. Ours has 4 larger bins and 8 smaller ones. She quickly learned that different types of toys go in the different bins. Little pictures of that type of toy on the front of the bin can help too. Stacking bins aren't great because kids have to unstack them to get to the bin they want - extra work and effort makes clean up harder to get done. I can tell my daughter to go get a large bin and put all of her legos away - she'll need help staying on task but she will do it. She's 2.5 years. If I tell her to put away her toys however, she will just look at me blankly. She needs smaller, broken-down tasks to do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• As for what toys to toss - since you have two age ranges, that's hard. I'd say just keep an eye out for things that are worn for now. As you know, what the older one outgrows, the younger one is just growing into. That applies to clothes AND toys.

If you find you have too many toys, then divide them into 2 groups and put one group in a back closet or attic. Switch groups once a week or so.
    kaycee14