When do I switch off the bottle?

My son is almost 10 months. His top 4 teeth are coming in at once. He hasn't taken a straight formula bottle since he was 3 months old, I had to start giving him bottles with cereal in them. He is refusing to take a bottle at all. I have pre-made and chilled them which worked for 2 days and 3 oz. at a time. I tried formula in the sippy cup, he loves his sippy cup drinks juice out of it all the time but he won't take a drop of formula from it. Right now I have been feeding him 2 meals with baby food (he is eating second foods and a little problem with the transition to 3rds) I also Make him a bowl of oatmeal with fruit using formula and a bowl of just rice cereal also using formula. My question is if he decides his is not going back to the bottle after his top teeth come in is it ok for him to go to food and whole milk?

holpar

Asked by holpar at 1:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• formula till he is 1 yrs old baby ceareal and fruite and stuff
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I can't imagine that a month will make a whole lot of difference, but I would call his doctor and ask. If he is refusing the formula, then I bet his doctor will say its OK to start milk early.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would start mixing the two formula and whole milk. If he is on regular lactose formula. Mix 1/4 milk with 3/4 formula then just slowly keep adding more milk.
    PracticalMagick

Answer by PracticalMagick at 1:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If he is done with the bottle, I would throw them away and be done with them. As for the milk thing, the only thing you can do is try and see how he does, but your doctor will probably tell you to wait.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2009