A question for breastfeeding moms...

My little girl is a week old today and breastfeeding with her is going really really well im really proud of myself for not getting discouraged and giving up it was really hard with my other 3 i could never stick to it plus i was on the go all the time with the other 3 and im at home most of the time now so i have the time.... anyway she will eat for hours at a time if i let her she usually eats every 90 mins for an hour or more.... is this normal for such a small baby to be eating so long and so much??? also my other question is if she finishes on one side do i start with that side again for the next feeding or switch to the other to start?? or does it matter?? thanks a bunch!!

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try nursing her for 20 minutes on each side and seeing how she does. If she only does one side, start on the other side for the next feeding. Has your milk come in all the way yet? If your milk is not all the way in, it could get better when it's in. Most areas have a breastfeeding support group of some kind through the hospital lactation department. I would check into that. The one in our area would have us weigh the baby then feed them and weigh them again to see how much they are getting. This is really helpful.

Congrats on being home and being able to breastfeed!!

kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You definately want to switch breast every time she eats. Does it sound like she is eating that whole 90 mins? You might try to wake her to be more focused to eat. Taking her off after every 10 mins to burp my speed things along and please note that every baby is different and she may be a laid back kind of gal and want to take that long. Stick with it you're doing great!
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 2:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It's hard to say whats normal. Normal differs from baby to baby. My baby ate just like yours does, but once he was a little older and had lots of practice, he didn't have to nurse for as long because he was better at getting the milk out. Now for your other question. If she nurses from both sides during a nursing session, next time you start with the best she nursed from last. For example, if she nursed on the right last, Start on the right. If she only nursed from one side, you would start with the opposite breast. I hope I wasn't too confusing. Congratulations on your new baby.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• She may not be nursing the whole time, she may just be sucking for comfort. Most babies suck about 4 times, and then gulp...check for that. My LO sucked for comfort alot. If you nurse from both breasts during a single feeding then start on the last breast she ate from at the next feeding. But if she only nurses from one breast at a feeding then start on the opposite for the next feeding.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 2:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I nursed one one breast per feeding, because that insures that the baby gets all the hindmilk, which is more filling than the fore milk. :)

it can be normal though, my daughter nursed a lot for a while. It gets better. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I agree with Celtic. Just alternate breasts at the next feeding. You could always put on a bracelet. When your daughter is done eating slide the bracelet onto your wristt on the side she finished on so you know not to nurse on that side the next time.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 3:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I only use one breast per feeding, and never messed with timing things if you can get away with it. My guy is 5 months old and I have been letting him nurse on one breast two sessions and then switch, it's just easier for me.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• first of all... congratulations and well done for breastfeeding!! before i respond, i wanted to tell you about la leche league... i don't know if you've heard of it, but its support for nursing mothers... they have a web site and actualy meetings.. check it out, it will really help!!!! i nursed my baby on demand sinc he was born.. he did the same thing, nursed all the time and frequently, apparantly they are stimulating the milk, the more they "eat" the more they're trying to get more milk to flow... check that she's latched on well and just keep going, it will slow down, my boy's 6 months now and goes 5 hours without eating sometimes...
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• oh and, if your nipples start really hurting (cracking etc.) there's this stuff called "bag balm" in a green tin, ask the pharmacist for it, i started using it a month ago, and i wish i would have known about it from the beginining.. its amazing stuff.. fixes everything and helps your nipples to soften and expand and adjust to nursing... i hope things go well, your doing great!!! :)
    sweetmama8

• you don't have to switch breasts every feeding. in fact, if you go by the clock and switch after "20 minutes" (the most common quoted time limit per breast), your baby could be missing out on some of the more nutrient-rich hindmilk! My baby is 5 mos old and still only nurses one side at a feeding most of the time!
    it is VERY normal to feel like you're feeding a 1-weeker constantly! That's very good too! She is building your supply up by nursing frequently and she is also getting comfort and cuddling that she needs! She is not getting milk the whole hour she is eating, she is comfort nursing.
    chekc out this website for more info www.kellymom.com
    good luck mam, and keep it up! and feel free to PM me if you have more ?'s -- i have tons of resources on breastfeeding (and lots of experience!)and I am very willing to help out!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009