Sleeping through the night

My 10 mnth still does not sleep throughout the night. He goes to bed at 8 he wakes up at 10 and usually just whimpers himself back to sleep but then he wakes up at 2 and 4 to eat and sometimes just to be held, then he wakes up for good at 530. Is this normal or should he be sleeping through?

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 1:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD is 3 mos old, and she's sleeping through the night. For the most part at least. She goes to bed around 9 sleeps the 7ish hours and then goes back to bed for another 7ish. She's doing really well. :) Good luck. Try not letting him nap so much, maybe???
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• all kids are different but it does sound like a lot dont get him up unless to eat and calm him back to sleep as he stays in bed
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 2:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2 months old and does not sleep thru the night.
    LND

Answer by LND at 2:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My little girl is 3 1/2 months old and usually sleeps 7-9 hours straight. What helped me get her into this routine was reading the book "On Becoming Babywise". It changed our lives!!! Now my husband and I have a great routine with Maya - it makes for a much happier baby and parents! Parents that get great sleep are the happiest and same goes for little babies too :o) Our experience was that Maya had started waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning - if we took her into bed with us, she would stop crying and go back to sleep for the rest of the night. But we wanted to break that bad habit. Reading the "On Becoming Babywise" booked helped us to understand what to do - at first we had to let her cry herself back to sleep many times, but if you stick with it, it's so worth it - in three nights she was sleeping completely through the night! Good Luck!
    meganbarge

Answer by meganbarge at 2:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my mom has told me i didnt sleep through the nite until i was 18 months old so its probably not abnormal for him to still be waking up all mine were sleeping through the nite by 6 weeks I hope my week old little girl is the same we will see!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son didn't until he was 21 months old. My others were 3 months or younger. THere is no set age. All kids are different.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Also, if it helps, I wanted to let you know about a friend of mine who has a son about your daughter's age - he's 9 months old and takes two naps during the day and sleeps about 10 hours every night (goes to bed btw 7 and 8 pm). This friend is the one who recommended the "On Becoming Babywise" book to me. It really worked for her too! I think one of the key things is to stick with it and not to be afraid to let your baby cry...it's okay sometimes, especially if you're trying to get them on a schedule that will be better for them and help them to sleep properly :o)
    meganbarge

Answer by meganbarge at 2:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If you're willing to read a book for improvement, please read the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. It works very well! There is NEVER a reason to let your baby cry alone.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it could be hes not eatign enough to help him sleep through the night, befor he goes to bed give him a snack or something easy but filling on his tummy and it might help, it did mine i gave them baby oatmeal or rice cerael
    armerswife

Answer by armerswife at 9:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2009