will she become obese??

My DD is 15 months old, she loves bay carrots, apples, oranges, and string cheese as snacks. For dinner we always have a form of meat, two veggies, and some nights a pasta. Well when she is hungry in between meals I will let her eat ALL the carrots apples ect. that she wants...if she wants to eat a whole bag of baby carrots then fine, more power to her. I do, however, limit her to two string cheeses a day. She always eats all of her dinner, no matter how big her snack was. Well my dad told me that if I continue to let her eat that way then she will become obese. She is in the 115% for her height and 90% for weight so she isn't too big or too small. so I am wondering if, in fact she can become obese with these eatting habits??
BTW- She hates junk (soda, cake, CHOCOLATE...she's crazy lol. But she does like apple pie, cherry pie and cheese cake but that is the olny junk she likes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she walk? if so then she will walk all that off but shes young and shes still growing i dont think she will
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would not worry about it. It is normal for a child to eat from the time they get up until the time they go to bed. In addition to that, her eating habits will not continue this way. They slow their growth and their appetite decreases. She is not significantly disproportionate in any way and in fact her weight percent is lower than her height. You need to tell your dad that according to her measurements she is perfectly healthy and that she won't eat this way forever. Toddlerhood will hit with a vengeance in a few months and then her eating like this will be a thing of the past.

If you are really worried, talk to your pediatrician. She is due for a wellbaby soon anyway. Your pediatrician is probably going to tell you the exact same thing I said. Then when your doctor tells you, you can tell your father how healthy the doctor says she is.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Your dad is correct. Is she eating because she is bored? Snacks need to be controlled. Constant eating is not good for her.
    Anonymous

• just be sure she gets lots of excrecise!! my son eats like a horse, but he is in the 40% for weight, 80% for height, his dad is tall and thin so i let him go to town and eat me out of house and home some days. it really sucks about the double standard with little girls - not fair, get her in some activity .... i think she seems to be eating healthy, really a whole bag of carrots is a ton, i couldnt eat that as a pregnant woman! but carrots are good 4 you, idk... call her doc and ask, that would be the best person to ask i guess. good luck.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• snacks (even healthy ones) should be controlled. If she's eating constantly it could be a sign she doesn't know when she is full and that she could be eating out of boredom. I would control her portions as well. You say she will eat "no matter how big" her meal is. Why would you let her eat a whole bag of carrots? carrots may be healthy but even too much of a good thing can be bad. There is absolutely no way she should be eating an entire bag of carrots and its very irresponsible of you to let her do so. If you don't teach her to limit herself now then later on she will eat any and everything and you will not have a say in the matter. I would be calling a nutritionist and working out a food plan for your little one.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 3:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• She IS supposed to eat between meals, but not whenever she wants. It's great that she loves her veggies and fruit. Is she on a schedule for when she eats? Normally, a toddler should have a snack mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and before bed. Sometimes we will end up doing two snacks in the afternoon if my daughter has been really active and thus becomes hungry sooner than normal. The point that the other posters is making is about why she is eating and when. She will start to eat less in the coming months naturally. You should be having your 15 month check-up soon, so check with your doctor what schedule she suggest for you.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I say continue with the healthy snacks that you have been giving her, but maybe moderate it some.

I would also not let her have the pies that you mentioned except maybe for a special occasion. (birthday or holiday) You say she doesn't like soda, chocolate, etc. but at 15 months old, my son hasn't even tried that type of stuff to know if he likes it or not. I would be worried that the more "junk" you let her try, even if it is just a taste, the more she will start to prefer that food instead of the healthy foods she likes now.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2009