what did your optomitrist have you do to correct a lazy eye?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• we found out my son at the age of 3 had a lazy eye so they put him in glasses because that eye was a little weekier. As long as his glasses were on you couldnt tell he had a lazy eye it pulled it back where it needed to be but at the age of 5 it wasnt getting any better so they did visiion therapy hes now 7 and still has to wear glasses but his lazy eye doesnt look down anymore it strenghten the muscle.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I notice my daughter had a lazy eye at 2 years old and the doctor had her to wear a patch over eye when she was not at daycare. It made her eye stronger and corrected the problem. When I would take her in public adults would ask what happen to her eye.........and I would answer why? Some people are just crazy.....If a child would ask I would explain!
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 2:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I worked with a girl who was able to correct hers by wearing glasses or contacts.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We didn't see an optometrist. We went to an ophthalmologist.

He tried patching and glasses, but those didn't work at all....we ended up doing surgery to correct the eyes of our youngest. He had to have four muscles repositioned as both eyes had started crossing in and when he'd look to the extreme side, the eyes would drift upwards.

Keep in mind...there is a difference between lazy eye and the eye just crossing in. A lazy eye will cross in, but a crossing eye is not necessarily a lazy eye. My oldest has an eye that crosses in, but it's isn't lazy eye.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh...and my son with the crossed eye has been able to stick with glasses. When he puts them on, the eye is corrected. The more farsighted they are, the more likely glasses will be able to help.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my ds has an eye that 'drifts' when he's tired. His optometrist said he didn't need glasses but to put a patch over the 'good' eye because it makes the weak one work more and get stronger.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 4:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My 3yo was having trouble with both eyes crossing. He needed bifocals. His right eye no longer turns in, but his left does. We are currently patching the right an hour a day to help strengthen the left... he has another appt in 2 weeks, so we'll see...
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 4:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009