Can you take anti-depressants while you are pregnant?

Onatthia

Asked by Onatthia at 2:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no
    u cant
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 2:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• if your feeling depressed just talk to your dr. and theyll talk with you about the best option for you. I am 36 weeks and got a prescription for zoloft a few weeks ago.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the Dr., I THINK.

I used to work in a clinic and pregnant women would call for a refill on their depression meds and they have been prescribed by the Dr.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you can. Although you do need to be aware of the risks. I'm currently taking 50mg of Zoloft every day under doctor's orders. While there are risks associated with taking this medication, a majority of them are the most damaging during the first trimester.

If you are currently taking any prescription antidepressants, DO NOT stop taking them until talking with your doctor.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 2:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Some, yes. You need to talk it over with your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I did, so don't let anyone tell you no! My baby is 100% healthy! My Dr. only gave me a certain one of course but yes I did...I don't know how to spell it but it sounds like flu-oxitine!
    shauna9909

Answer by shauna9909 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• yes you can, just talk to your doctor and they will find something that will be best for you! It is not uncommon for pregnant women to need anti depressants. I am on Lexapro right now myself and I am 35 weeks preg and have taken them from the beginning:)
    lmoots

Answer by lmoots at 3:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I took effexor for years prior to my pregnancy. Once pregnant I had to switch to zoloft because effexor can cause extreme withdrawl symptoms. So the answer is yes! There are some meds safe from pregnancy. I encourage you to talk to your Dr.!
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 4:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Some drugs are fine. It's safer to take antidepressants than to be depressed during pregnancy. I took Effexor XR and was on it for 6 years, I think, when I first got pregnant. I continued to take it and my daughter was perfectly healthy when she was born. No problems whatsoever.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009