what to buy for the baby to sleep in, in our room?

I'm a soon-to-be first time mom, trying to decide what to buy for the baby to sleep in in our room. Sleeping in the bed with us is not an option with my heavy-sleeping husband, so I'd like something that's within arm's reach and SAFE for newborns. There are a lot of products that are recommended for napping but not for "overnight". What did you guys do? Any suggestions or warnings? Thanks!

SarahEric09

Asked by SarahEric09 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is sleeping in our room til he is 4 months. he is now three months and is to big to fit in his bassinet anymore so we had to got buy a pack n play with a bassinet. this is what i would recommend so you dont have to spend the extra money like we did.
    cryssi_renee

Answer by cryssi_renee at 2:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You could get a bassinet or an Armsreach co-sleeper. It's sort of like a bassinet but it stays right next to your bed.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My husband and I had the same issue. Well what we ended up with was a portable crib. It is a smaller then normal, and also has wheels on it. So we could put it right next to our bed, and sleep soundly, but he was close enough that we heard him.
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• we used a bassinet with my first son 7years ago but this time around i relized you just dont get much use out of them so we are going to just use are pack n play that has a bassinet insert in it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401894

Here is a link so you can check out the co-sleeper.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We ended up using a play pen that had an attachable bassinet. and changing table. It worked well and are able to use it a lot longer.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 2:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We used the bassinet for the first 2 weeks and then just put his crib in our room. At 3 months we put him in his own room. He seemed to sleep longer in his crib.
    Anonymous

• I love the arm's reach co-sleepers. they are amazing.... and safe. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have a Kolcraft Lights and Sounds bassinet and love it. It has a soother built-in that puts him right to sleep. I do wish I would have gotten a co-sleeper bassinet. Not necessarily because I want to co-sleep but because they hold the babies for much longer. My bassinet, along with most bassinets only hold up to 15lbs or 3 months (whichever comes first). Co-sleeper bassinets generally will hold a baby up to 6 months or longer. My son is only 2 months old and will be out of his bassinet very soon and I'm not ready for him to be in his room yet :-( so, I really wish I would have gone with a co-sleeper bassinet so his size wouldn't be forcing him into his own room/crib before I'm ready.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We used a Pack and Play so i dint have to worry about if falling over. He slept in htat until he was 4 months.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 3:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009