Do boys throw flowers at weddings?

OK...got a problem. My SIL is getting married. Said that it's tradition (her family is from Mexico) for boys and girls both to be flower girls..err...flower children. SIL's older sister is the ring bearer. So, she wants my son and daughter and our niece and nephew to be "flower children". That sounds absurd to me. Have you ever heard of (in a traditional wedding, be it Mexican or not) boys throwing the flowers down the aisle?

PiggyBug

Asked by PiggyBug at 2:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• While attending a wedding in Mexico City some years ago men and boys also threw petals. It is a part of their culture. Embrace it, let him be a part of their day in the way they choose. He doesn't have to tell people he's a flower child..just that he is in the wedding. My granddaughter was just in a Thai traditional wedding this fall...talk about traditions...phew..5 dress changes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• nope, but i would let them none the less, it would be funny to me and if she wants it - it is her wedding - let her have flower children, you can tease your son about it when he is a teen!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Not in a "traditional" wedding, but it is a mexican tradition. My cousin had both boys and girls throw petals at her wedding.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 2:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Amalia--thank you : )
    musik--thank you even more for reassurance that it is a MX tradition!! ::sigh of relief:: I just thought maybe it was some sick joke she was playing on us, or something ; )
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 2:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Teasing is not recommended and No, I have not heard of it. Why couldn't he be a ringbearer? I don't see the harm in it but you are his mother and you need to do what you feel is comfortable not her. If you don't lie it just let her know that you apprecaite the oppurtunity to let your son be apart of the wedding but you just don't feel comfotable with that. and don't worry about what she may think. Your not mexican and you don't hold the same traditions as she does and there's nothing wrong with that.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 2:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• He can't be a ring bearer b/c his aunt (other SIL) is the ring bearer. I am so confused on their culture when it comes to weddings, I guess....
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 2:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it is her wedding. if she wants a flower child and not a flower girl what does it matter
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• The boys could also just escort the flower girls rather than actually throwing flowers.

Answer by Bmat at 3:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• mamak: because it matters to me because he's my son. She wants us to travel from Northern Ohio to Georgia for a part that sounds ridiculous to me and to him. But my husband (her brother) doesn't want to insult his sister by turning down the part.
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 3:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• actually my aunt did that at her wedding.. played a joke on her kids (who are teens).. they played a long as good sports though, and it made for a hilarious wedding (was done by JOP because it was her second wedding so she just wanted it to be fun). So anyways, my male cousin, who is 17, dressed in a tux, and put flowers in his hair and at the reception had a little basket and would "throw the flowers" and my female cousin, who is 14, dressed in a suit, and had little hair done up to look like "bear ears" and had the pillow with the rings. but it may very well be a mexican tradition. IDK... for my aunt it was a joke (which she needed after her first husband). Everyone loved it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009